Baler is a small town in Aurora Province on the east coast of Luzon in the Philippines. It is situated between the Sierra Madre mountain range and the Pacific Ocean, in the vast plain at the mouth of Baler's Bay.
Founded in 1609 by Franciscan missionaries, Baler is also the last place held by the Spaniards until they were kicked off in 1899. In 1951, Baler became the capital town of the new province of Aurora, then part of Quezon until it was separated officially in 1978.
Get in and around
Genesis Transportation provides a direct buses from Metro Manila (along EDSA in Pasay city) to Baler and one way cost ₱450. Or, you can catch a bus from Manila to Cabanatuan, which costs ₱197. and then jump on a van or bus to Baler at the Cabanatuan Central Bus Station there (the van leaves when it's full, ₱200). It is slower than the Genesis bus as it goes through the sinuous dust road and not the new sealed one, but better if you're sick on air-con buses in the mountains.
The A/C bus fare from Cabanatuan to Baler is ₱247. The non-A/C bus fare costs ₱174.
- Baler's Museum
- Bahia de Baler/Sabang Beach on Baler's bay
- Ermita Hill - where locals took refuge from a tsunami. Now a pleasant small park with a view of the bay and a large cross at the top.
- Waterfalls - Ditumabo Falls and the smaller Culayan Falls. The latter is a nice and clean, good for a picnic and a dip. Both are in San Luis, slightly inland from Baler.
- Surfing: there is many surfboard rental around the beach access.
- China Bank has a 24-hour Visa/Mastercard ATM.
- RCBC Bank has a 24-hour Visa/Mastercard ATM, and will exchange U.S. dollars at a good rate.
- N E Mall & NE Supermarket, on Nueva Ecija-Baler Road (westside of town: kitty-corner to Premiere General Hospital). 9AM-8PM.
- Gerry's Chinese and seafood restaurant: a good value, popular among locals in the center of the city.
- Bay's Inn: has a restaurant by the beach, good value Filipino-western style meals.
- Bahia de Baler: more expensive than its neighbor, Day's Inn, but a bit more classy too.
- Eat All You Can Buffet, N E mall brgy suklayin (inside the Ne mall in Baler). An all-you-can-eat with drinks. p120.
- Kahea's Lodge: at Sabang beach, offers ₱500 fan rooms.
- Little Girl's Surfer Lodge: next to Kahea's, offers ₱600 fan rooms and surfboard rental.
- MM Lodge: after the two first ones at Sabang Beach, ₱600 fan rooms.
- Carlito's Inn: though it is far from the coast at the eastern tip of the city, Carlito's offers nice air-con/fan rooms with bathroom, cable TV for ₱500-900.
- Amihan Hotel: in the center, this old hotel offers the most low cost rooms in Baler, most with outside bathrooms for (₱400).
- Penny Lane Transient, Sabang baler (behide Emerila inn), ☏ . Fan double rooms with outside bathrooms and TV. ₱500.
- Passilyo Lodge, Sabang. Fan double room with outside bathroom. From ₱500.
- La Flor Lodge, Sabang Beach, ☏ . A/C double rooms. Has a swimming pool. ₱800-1000.
- Circle Hostel, Sabang Beach. Hammock or dorm bed. ₱450/₱550.
- Hospital: there is a reliable hospital facility at the east of town (on the way in/out).
- The post office is in the bus station area.