Baler is a small town in Aurora Province on the East coast of Luzon in the Philippines. It is situated between the Sierra Madre mountain range and the Pacific Ocean, in the vast plain at the mouth of Baler's Bay.
Founded in 1609 by Franciscan missionaries, Baler is also the last place held by the Spaniards until they got kicked off in 1899. In 1951, Baler became the capital town of the new province of Aurora. It has around 30,000 inhabitants.
Get in and around
Genesis Transportation provides a direct buses from Manila (along EDSA in Pasay city) to Baler and one way cost P450. Alternately, you can catch a bus from Manila to Cabanatuan = p197. and then jump on a van or Bus to Baler at the Cabanatuan Central Bus Station there (the van leave when it's full). p200. Slower than the Genesis bus as it goes through the sinuous dust road and not the new sealed one, but better if you're sick on air con buses in the mountains. There is one 7AM bus everyday that goes along the Aurora coast from Baler through Dipaculao, Casiguran until Dilasag. the a/c bus fare from Cabanatuan to Baler is p 247. the non air bus fare is p 174.
- Baler's Museum
- Bahia de Baler/Sabang Beach on Baler's bay
- Ermita Hill - where locals took refuge from a tsunami. Now a pleasant small park with a view of the bay and a large cross at the top.
- Waterfalls - Ditumabo Falls and the smaller Culayan Falls. The latter is a nice and clean, good for a picnic and a dip. Both are technically in San Luis, slightly inland from Baler.
- Surfing - : there is many surfboard rental around the beach access.
- China bank has two visa/Mastercard Atms
- RCBC bank has one Visa/Mastercard Atm and will also exchange US dollars at a good rate.
- Gerry's Chinese and seafood restaurant : a good value popular among locals in the center of the city.
- Bay's Inn : has a restaurant by the beach, good value Filipino-western style meals.
- Bahia de Baler : more expensive than it neighbor Day's Inn but a bit more classy too.
- Eat all you can buffet, N E mall brgy suklayin (inside the Ne mall in Baler). a all you can eat with drinks. p120.
- Kahea's Lodge : at Sabang beach, offers P500 Fan rooms.
- Little Girl's Surfer Lodge : next to Kahea's, offers P600 Fan rooms and surfboard rental.
- MM Lodge : after the two first ones at Sabang Beach, P600 Fan rooms.
- Carlito's Inn : though it is far from the coast at the eastern tip of the city, Carlito's offers nice air-con/fan rooms with bathtoom, cable TV for P500 to P900.
- Amihan Hotel : in the center, this old hotel offers the most low cost rooms in Baler. most with outside bathrooms for (P400).
- Penny Lane Transient, Sabang baler (behide Emerila inn), ☎ . Fan double rooms with outside bathrooms and tv. p500.
- Passilyo Lodge, Sabang. fan double room with outside bathroom. from p500.
- La Flor Lodge, Sabang Beach, ☎ . fan double rooms. has a swimming pool. p500.
- Circle Hostel, Sabang beach.. Hammock or dorm bed. p450/550.
- Hospital : there is a reliable hospital facility at the east of town (on the way in/out).
- Post office : is in the Bus Station area.