Cabanatuan is a city of over 300,000 in Nueva Ecija in the Philippines. Historically, it is the capital of the Philippines after Manila fell to the Americans, and during World War II, the city, then a rural municipality, has seen one of the largest military operations on the Pacific theater. It is the "Gateway to the North", a secondary commercial center of Central Luzon, and the former capital of the Philippines' "Rice Granary".
Cabanatuan served as the economic center of Nueva Ecija, and an major stopover to Cagayan Valley.
The city once formed a barrio of the then-municipality of Gapan during the Spanish colonial period. During the Philippine–American War, it became the temporary capital of the nascent Philippine republic, and the place where general Antonio Luna would be assassinated by a soldier of his own battalion. The city also served as a battleground for one of the major encounters in the Philippines at the end of World War II, the raid at Cabanatuan, better remembered in the Hollywood film The Great Raid. Cabanatuan served as the capital of Nueva Ecija until the new capital is established at Palayan.
The city has tricycles the most popular mode of transportation, and there are more than 30,000 in the city, giving its nickname "Tricycle Capital of the Philippines".
|Climate chart (explanation)|
The city has its reputation for very hot summer days, making it the second hottest city in the Philippines after Tuguegarao in Cagayan Valley. The climate is the usual tropical climate influenced by the monsoon, but its inland location further gave the possibility of extremely high heat indices, enough to give you heat stroke on a short walk. Daytime highs are generally in the 30s. The highest temperature recorded is a 40.4 °C (104.7 °F), and heat indexes above 50 °C (122 °F) are not uncommon during the dry season.
By bus and minivan
There are air-conditioned buses going from Cabanatuan to Baler at 8AM and 9:30AM. The trip takes around 4 hours and cost ₱247.
Vans also go from Cabanatuan to Baler for ₱200 but take time to fill up.
- Cabanatuan Central Terminal, Circumferential Road. There are food stalls, a restroom and convenience stores (7-Eleven and Alfamart). There are transfers to UV Express and jeepneys. Beware of scammers who will bring your baggage and lead you to overpriced shops.
Tricycles from ₱15 per person most rides ₱20-30.
There are also jeepneys from ₱8 for the first 4 km.
- 1 Camp Pangatian (Cabanatuan American Memorial). A former American military camp turned into a Japanese concentration camp for American and Filipino prisoners of war, it was known for the raid at Cabanatuan, one of the largest military operations of World War II in the Pacific. The camp has been turned into a memorial for the prisoners of war detained here, and is also part of itineraries for American war veterans.
- Plaza Lucero, Rizal Street and Del Pilar Streets, Nabao. A little plaza built on where Antonio Luna, a Filipino general during the Philippine-American War, was assassinated. A statue of Luna in horseback is erected on the spot where he was killed.
- Nueva Ecija Old Provincial Capitol, Burgos Avenue, Padre Burgos. A neoclassical capitol building designed by the American architect and urban planner E. William Parsons. It used to house the government offices of the Nueva Ecija provincial government until it was relocated to the new capital at Palayan.
Malls & supermarkets
- N E Pacific Mall, Maharlika Highway. 9AM-9PM.
- Puregold Supermarket, Maharlika Highway. 8AM-9PM.
- Robinsons Mall & Robinsons Supermarket, Maharlika Hi-way. 9AM-9PM.
- SM City Mall & Savemore Supermarket, Maharlika Hi-way. 10AM-9PM.
- Sogo hotel, Maharlika Hi-way (not far from the new SM mall and Robinsons). A good deal is the ₱300 rooms from 8PM till 6AM. ₱300 10 hours and ₱525 for 12 hours.
- Cabanatuan Travellers Apartelle, Papaya road Mabini, ☏ . Single/double rooms with own bathroom and cable TV. ₱700/800.
- Mansion Lodge, maharika Hi-way (next to Sogo Hotel). The least expensive fan double rooms in Cabanatuan. Cable TV costs ₱100 more. ₱500 for 24 hours.
- Microtel Inn & Suites Cabanatuan, Sta. Arcadia, ☏ , fax: . Well-maintained and comfortable rooms.
|Routes through Cabanatuan|
|Gapan ← Santa Rosa ←||N S||→ Talavera → San Jose|