Cabanatuan City is a city in Nueva Ecija, the rice granary of the Philippines.
Cabanatuan served as the economic center of Nueva Ecija, and an major stopover to Cagayan Valley.
The city once formed a barrio of the then-municipality of Gapan during the Spanish colonial period. During the Philippine–American War, Antonio Luna was murdered here by a member of his battalion who have a grudge against him. The city also served as a battleground for one of the major encounters in the Philippines at the end of World War II, the raid at Cabanatuan, better remembered in the Hollywood film The Great Raid. Cabanatuan served as the capital of Nueva Ecija until the new capital is established at Palayan.
The city has tricycles the most popular mode of transportation, and there are more than 30,000 in the city, giving its nickname "Tricycle Capital of the Philippines".
|Climate chart (explanation)|
The city has its reputation for very hot summer days, making it one of the hottest cities in the Philippines after Tuguegarao in Cagayan Valley. The climate is the usual tropical climate influenced by the monsoon, but its inland location further gave the possibility of extremely hot temperatures, enough to give you heat stroke on a short walk. Daytime highs usually fall in the 30s and does not fall below it. The highest temperature to record is a 40.4 °C (104.7 °F), and heat indexes above 50 °C (122 °F) are not uncommon during the dry season.
By bus and minivan
There are air-conditioned buses going from Cabanatuan to Baler at 8AM and 9:30AM. The trip takes around 4 hours and cost ₱247.
Vans also go from Cabanatuan to Baler for ₱200 but take time to fill up.
- Cabanatuan Central Terminal, Circumferential Road. There are food stalls, a restroom and convenience stores (7-Eleven and Alfamart). There are transfers to UV Express and jeepneys. Beware of scammers who will bring your baggage and lead you to overpriced shops.
Tricycles from ₱15 per person most rides ₱20-30.
There are also jeepneys from ₱8 for the first 4 km.
- 1 Camp Pangatian.
Malls & supermarkets
- N E Pacific Mall, Maharlika Highway. 9AM-9PM.
- Puregold Supermarket, Maharlika Highway. 8AM-9PM.
- Robinsons Mall & Robinsons Supermarket, Maharlika Hi-way. 9AM-9PM.
- SM City Mall & Savemore Supermarket, Maharlika Hi-way. 10AM-9PM.
- Sogo hotel, Maharlika Hi-way (not far from the new SM mall and Robinsons). A good deal is the ₱300 rooms from 8PM till 6AM. ₱300 10 hours and ₱525 for 12 hours.
- Cabanatuan Travellers Apartelle, Papaya road Mabini, ☏ . Single/double rooms with own bathroom and cable TV. ₱700/800.
- Mansion Lodge, maharika Hi-way (next to Sogo Hotel). The least expensive fan double rooms in Cabanatuan. Cable TV costs ₱100 more. ₱500 for 24 hours.
- Microtel Inn & Suites Cabanatuan, Sta. Arcadia, ☏ , fax: . Well-maintained and comfortable rooms.
|Routes through Cabanatuan|
|Gapan ← Santa Rosa ←||N S||→ Talavera → San Jose|