Turkmenistan Airlines offers flights from Ashgabat to Balkanabat on Tue, Thu and Sat (US $11). Balkanabat airport is 2 km east of the city.
The trip from Ashgabat takes about 6 hours. Marshrutkas and shared taxis cost about US $2 or 3, taxis approx. US $15. They arrive in front of the train station.
- Gozli Ata (135 km north of Balkanabat). Mausoleum of a highly respected Sufi teacher, today a very popular place of pilgrimage
- Yangykala Canyon. one of the most spectacular natural attractions in Central Asia, 165 km north of Balkhanabat, 160 km east of Turkmenbashi
- Dekhistan. In medieval times rivalling Merv and Konye Urgench. Today only ruins of two minarets and of the oldest mosque in the country remain. Expect to pay US $50 for the round trip per taxi including waiting time
- Tarshavat (38 km from Balkanabat). The picturesque ruins of the Tarshavat caravanserai stand on one of the ancient caravan routes on the Silk Road. The caravanserai is a rectangular building with a stone wall and ruins of residential buildings inside.
- Shir Kabir Mausoleum (6 km from Dekhistan). Dating from the 9th and 10th cent. Shir Kabir is one of the oldest surviving mosques on the territory of Turkmenistan. It has a unique mikhrab consisting of three niches one inside the other.
- Regional History Museum, Gurgteli Annayew köcesi, ☎ . US $1.25.
- Russian Orthodox Church.
- Balkanabat Carpet Factory, Azady köcesi. Mon to Frin 9AM to 6PM.
- Kafe Ruslan, Kvartal 201 (west of the city center), ☎ .
- Hotel Nebitchi, Kvartal 198, ☎ . five star hotel, all rooms with satellite TV, excellent restaurants dbl US $100.
- Hotel Balkan, Kvartal 225, ☎ . US $30 to 60.
Turkmenistan Airlines offers flight from Balkanabat to Ashgabat on Tue, Thu and Sat (US $11). Balkanabat airport is 2 km east of the city.
The trip to Ashgabat takes about 6 hours. Marshrutkas and shared taxis cost about US $2 or 3, taxis approx. US $15. They leave in front od the train station.