Turkmenistan Airlines offers flights from Ashgabat to Balkanabat on Tue, Thu and Sat (US $11). Balkanabat airport is 2 km east of the city.
The trip from Ashgabat takes about 6 hours. Marshrutkas and shared taxis cost US$2-3, taxis approx. US$15. They arrive in front of the train station.
- Regional History Museum, Gurgteli Annayew köcesi, ☏ . US$1.25.
- Russian Orthodox Church.
- Gozli Ata (135 km north of Balkanabat). Mausoleum of a highly respected Sufi teacher, today a very popular place of pilgrimage
- Yangykala Canyon. one of the most spectacular natural attractions in Central Asia, 165 km north of Balkhanabat, 160 km east of Turkmenbashi
- Dekhistan. In medieval times rivalling Merv and Konye Urgench. Today only ruins of two minarets and of the oldest mosque in the country remain. Expect to pay US$50 for the round trip per taxi including waiting time
- Tarshavat (38 km from Balkanabat). The picturesque ruins of the Tarshavat caravanserai stand on one of the ancient caravan routes on the Silk Road. The caravanserai is a rectangular building with a stone wall and ruins of residential buildings inside.
- Shir Kabir Mausoleum (6 km from Dekhistan). Dating from the 9th and 10th century. Shir Kabir is one of the oldest surviving mosques on the territory of Turkmenistan. It has a unique mikhrab consisting of three niches one inside the other.
- Balkanabat Carpet Factory, Azady köcesi. M-F 09:00-18:00.
- Kafe Ruslan, Kvartal 201 (west of the city center), ☏ .
- Hotel Nebitchi, Kvartal 198, ☏ . 5-star hotel, all rooms with satellite TV, excellent restaurants dbl US $100.
- Hotel Balkan, Kvartal 225, ☏ . US$30 to 60.
Turkmenistan Airlines offers flight from Balkanabat to Ashgabat on Tu Th and Sa (US $11). Balkanabat airport is 2 km east of the city.
The trip to Ashgabat takes about 6 hours. Marshrutkas and shared taxis cost US$2-3, taxis approx. US-$15. They leave in front od the train station.