Southern city and divisional town of Barisal division. Barisal is famous for paddy growing & many small and big rivers. The town is busy like most others in Bangladesh. Mobile phone service is well established, with good 3G connections.
During the Pakistan period Barisal division was a district under the same name and was part of Khulna Division then as one of four divisions of East Pakistan.
Though buses are available, the boat journey from Dhaka is recommended. It takes 12 hours and is comfortable and enjoyable. By road in a hired car, the journey from Dhaka takes 6-8 hours, requiring a half hour ferry crossing.
Barisal Bus Depot, +0431 54793. Schedule and fares
The Rocket (boats) departs from Barisal for Chittagong on Fridays and for Dhaka days other than Sundays.
- Gutia Masjid, also called Baitul Aman Jame Masjid, has been appreciated by some travellers.
- Floating Guava Market, only floating market in Bangladesh.
- Durga Sagor, known locally as Madhabpasha Dighi, is the largest lake in southern Bangladesh.
- University of Barisal, only general public university in Barisal Division.
There are plenty of ATM's in Barisal.
- 1 Arena Hotel, 135 Sadar Road, ☏ . This is a town centre hotel. So expect noise from the street. Rooms are clean with air conditioning and cable TV. Wireless internet is available in reception. This is as good as it gets in Barisal.
- 2 Grand Park Hotel, Band Road, Bell's Park, Barisal 8200, ☏ . New international standard hotel in Barisal.
- Kuakata - a rare and scenic spot on the southernmost tip of Bangladesh where you can watch the sun both rise and set over the sea.