Similar to Alto Paraíso in Goiás, Barra do Garças is known for its mystical atmosphere, with regular UFO sightings, strange unexplained lights, legends of crystal skulls, and a rumored connection with the genesis of the Inca civilization - some even say the surrounding Serra do Roncador range has a secret portal which leads to Machu Picchu. Like its American counterpart, Roswell, Barra do Garças has its shared of alien-themed attractions, such as the alien landing pad under construction, and its share of hippie UFO-chasers as well.
- There is a small airport, handling small planes. Regular flights come mostly from Cuiabá.
- Cristo Redentor. On a hill overlooking the city, this smaller Christ statue, in combination with the city's beaches, causes the city to be somewhat exaggeratedly known as the "Rio de Janeiro of the West".
- Freshwater beaches. At the confluence of the Garças and Araguaia rivers, there are popular freshwater beaches in June, July, and August, just when the rest of the country is in full winter mode.
- Serra do Roncador. The "Snorer´s Range", so named because of an unexplained snoring sound reportedly heard from time to time, also receives many reports of UFO sightings and strange, levitating fireballs, and many inexplicably disk-shaped stones can be found in the area. The area has many trails by which you can visit many interesting sites such as the Caverna dos Pezinhos ("Little Feet Cave"), the Gruta Seca (Dry Grotto), and the very deep Lagoa Encantada ("Enchanted Lake"), whose lifeless waters hold spiritual significance for the Xavantes, the local indigenous people.
- Parque Estadual da Serra Azul. This 11,000 hectare park, an arm of the Serra do Roncador, has trails, waterfalls, caves, archeological sites, and the site of the future "Discoporto", an area being constructed to make it easier for UFOs to land here.
- Parque das Águas Quentes (Hot Water Park), end of Avenida Águas Quentes (about 6 km from the city center), ☎ . 8AM-9PM. Naturally heated thermal water park with pools, a lazy river, wet bar, three water toboggans, and other attractions in a natural environment with native Serrado vegetation. The water temperature varies between 31 and 43 degrees Celsius and is said to have medicinal properties.
- Cashew Fruit Festival (Festa do Caju).
- Mango Festival (Festa da Manga).
- Motorcycle da Barra. May 1. A large gathering of motorcycle aficionados.
- National Fishing Festival of the Araguaia (Festival Nacional de Pesca do Araguaia). September. A national fishing competition which attracts fishers from across the country.
- Café das Duas, Rua Couto Magalhães, 735, ☎ .
- Caribe Bar, Rua Antônio Cristino Cortes, 82, ☎ .
- Churrascaria e Lanchonete Guaporé, Rod BR 158, no number, ☎ .
- Churrascaria Panelão, St Sul I, Av Min João Alberto, 56, ☎ .
- Hasriel Pizzaria, Rua Antônio Cristino Cortes, 66, ☎ .
- La Barcaça, Tv Mal Rondon, no number, ☎ .
- Pizzaria Água na Boca, Rua Castro Alves, 61, ☎ .
- Restaurante Kastell, St Sul II, Rua Carajás, 485, ☎ .
- Restaurante Vitória Régia, Rua Mato Grosso, 551, ☎ .
- Sorveteria Cascão, Av Gabriel Ferreira, 583, ☎ .
- Sorveteria E Pizzaria Paulista, Av Min João Alberto, 626 sala 1, ☎ .
- Gran Odara Hotel, Av. Antônio Joaquim, 365 - Porto do Baé, ☎ .
- Serra Azul Plaza Hotel, Praça Tiradentes, 572 - Centro, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com.
- Tawfiqs Palace Hotel, Praça Tiradentes, 626 - Centro, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.