Bata is the main city in mainland Equatorial Guinea, and the capital of the Río Muni region.
With some 230,000 inhabitants, Bata is the largest city in the country, and it was the capital until 1969 when Malabo was chosen to replace it. Bata is starting to feel the effects of the petrodollar, and many new building projects are popping up in the city. Bata is a relatively clean and cosmopolitan city with nightlife, casinos, nightclubs and some nice colonial buildings. Other attractions are its markets and malls, and its promenade of more than 20 km.
- 1 Bata Airport (BSG IATA) (located some way north of the city). It has a 2.3 km runway that operates only during the daytime and in good light. Destinations include Malabo, Douala in Cameroon, Cotonou in Benin and Gabon's capital Libreville.
Ferries sail from Malabo and Douala in Cameroon, usually once per week. Bata has one of the deepest seaports in the region, but no natural harbor. A jetty has been constructed to facilitate offshore handling of ships cargo.
Attractions in Bata include:
- 1 The Promenade. about 20 kilometers long.
- 2 Freedom Tower (Torre La Libertad). by the promenade, changes colors at night thanks to a lighting system and has a revolving restaurant at the top.
- 3 Gran Mercado Central, ☏ +240 222091493. the Grand Central Market
- 4 St. James and Our Lady of the Pillar Cathedral, Bata. is from the 17th century.
- Palacio Africa, the presidential palace.
- The Parliament building.
- Complejo Bome, it is a nature preserve that have great view and regarding the quietness in this place it helps the visitors to relax while they are in this place. (Hess, Bome - Antiguo, Bata.)
- Estadio de Bata (Bata Stadium in English), it was constructed in 2007, and it has the capacity of serving 35,700 persons. It had hosted the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations.
- Parque Infantil Tarsicio Obama Nseng, park.
- La Libertad Stadium, mainly football stadium that has capacity of holding 4,000 persons.
There are many beautiful undeveloped white sand beaches just outside the city, and you definitely don't have to worry about crowds. Particularly recommended are those at Mbini, some 50 kilometers south of the city.
- Santa-Cruz, gym.
- Ousmane Oula, shopping mall.
- Cosmo Plaza, shopping mall.
- Shopping Electronico, electronic store.
- Bah bijoutier joyeria, supermarket.
- Jammoul Aluminio SL, shopping mall.
- Restaurante Beirut.
- Terraza San Miguel Restaurante Bar.
- Terraza el Gustazo.
- Nkuantoma Iglesia Del Nazareno.
- Hotel Panafrica.
Bata nightlife bounces all night long, but the nightclubs don't pick up the pace until quite late.
- La Casa Bar de Chabeli.
- Bar Oscar F.
- 1 Ibis Bata, Paseo Maritimo (along corniche), ☏ +240 333088156, email@example.com. Clean albeit impersonal and with small rooms. Pool, rooms with ocean view. Restaurant/bar, free breakfast, wifi, a/c. Service can be a little hit or miss. 9642 GNF.
- Hotel Candy Bome.
- Hotel Ilatchi.
- Urbanizacion Ncoantom.
- Mbaguema Cruce dar.
- Casa Daniel Obam.
- Casa de Escolastica Nchama.
- Malabo - the largest city and capital of Equatorial Guinea