Bathurst was founded in 1820 and named after the colonial secretary of the British government, Lord Bathurst. 10 minutes from Port Alfred and home to the oldest pub in South Africa, the town’s major attraction is the Big Pineapple, which stands 16.7 m high.
There are two airports located in close proximity to Bathurst. The closest is the East London airport which is 112 km from Addo. The Port Elizabeth airport is 127 km away. There are regular flights from Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban and other South African destinations to the airports in Port Elizabeth and East London.
Bathurst is easily accessible by motorways from Cape Town (779 km) or East London (112 km). You could also drive in from Johannesburg (818 km). The road conditions are fairly good if you are coming from any of these cities.
All major South African coach companies offer regular schedules to and from destinations like Addo.
Bradshaw's Mill. A working watermill and National Monument.
Bathurst Agricultural Museum, ☎ .
Big Pineapple, ☎ .
- Bathurst Agricultural Museum, At the Yesterday, Today & Tomorrow Nursery, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. M-Sa 9AM-4PM, Su 3PM-4PM.
- [dead link]Bathurst Agricultural Show, ☎ , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Described by the Land Bank as "the best and only agricultural show in the Eastern Cape", the Omnia Bathurst Show is home to about 200 standholders and offers all things farming in a festival of competitions, exhibitions and demonstrations. Entertainment for the whole family.
- Bird Watching with Anne Williams, ☎ .
- Farmer's Market. Su 9:30AM-12:30PM.
- The Ruanthai, cnr Trappes Road & Timms Lane, ☎ . Closed on Mondays. Good Thai food, but the restaurant is unlicensed, so bring your own drinks if you want alcohol. Cash only, no credit card facilities.
- The Pig & Whistle pub, 268 Kowie Rd, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: email@example.com. The oldest licensed establishment in South Africa.
- The Pig & Whistle, 268 Kowie Rd, ☎ , fax: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Established in 1832, this hotel has been declared a National Monument.
- Palamino, 358 Elizabeth Rd, ☎ . From R250 for a double and R200 for a single.
- Protea Hotel, Summerhill Estate, R67, ☎ , fax: .
- Langholm B&B, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Bright self-catering family cottage on a pineapple farm close to Bathurst and Grahamstown. B&B option. 2 rooms - 1 double and 1 twin, quality bedding and towels supplied. Shower only. Colour TV. Peaceful farm surroundings. Walk through pineapple fields or bushveld.