Traffic entering Bedford from Bloomington and farther north from Indianapolis can use IN 37 southbound, while areas to the south near Paoli and Interstate 64 will use IN 37 northbound. From the east, US 50 westbound brings traffic from Seymour and Interstate 65. Areas to the west like Vincennes will follow US 50 eastbound. From the southeast, IN 60 (at Mitchell) brings traffic from Salem and Louisville.
- A total solar eclipse on Monday 8 April 2024 starts at 3:04PM local time and lasts 4 min. The chances of a clear sky are 40%. The track of totality is northeast from Mexico and Texas to Illinois, then across Indiana to Ohio and the Canada-New England border.
- 1 Bluespring Caverns, 1459 Bluespring Caverns Rd, ☏ . Apr May: Sa Su only 9AM-5PM; Memorial Day-Oct 31: daily 9AM-5PM; Nov 1-Mar 31: closed. Bluespring Caverns is the longest known underground river in the United States, stretching for 21 miles (33.8 km). Hour long boat tours are given of the river system. Youth groups may also book overnight stays in the cave. The walk to the tour boats is 800 feet (243 m) down and back up a steep ramp. Adults: $12, children 3 to 15: $6. Children under 3 are not recommended.
City & county parks
- 2. Golf, tennis, picnic area, softball and shelter house.
- 3 Lawrence County Recreational Park, Inc., ☏ , toll-free: . 12 miles (19 km) south of Bloomington. Motorcycles and ATVs only. OHV trails designed by Riders and Riders. Open 7 days a week.
- 4 Murray Forest Park. Softball, playground and hiking trails.
- 5 Thornton Park. Swimming, tennis, playground and shelter house.
- 6 Wilson Park. Baseball, horseshoes, playground and shelter house.
- 7 Spring Mill State Park, 3333 IN 60, Mitchell, ☏ . Lodging, dining, picnic areas, pioneer village, horse trails and saddle barn, fishing and swimming, cave tours, camping, hiking and nature center. Also houses a museum to Virgil "Gus" Grissom, an astronaut killed in an Apollo mission in 1967.
- 8 Great Escape 7, 2929 Great Escape Dr, ☏ .
- Holiday Drive-In Theater, 1055 IN 37, Mitchell, ☏ .
- 9 Premiere Theatre, 2933 Brock Ln, ☏ .
- 1 Otis Park, ☏ . The 18-hole course is 6,300 yards, par 72. Driving range, practice greens, pitching green and pro shop.
- 2 Stone Crest Golf Community, ☏ . North of Bedford and west off IN 37. 27-hole course, driving range, practice greens, pro shop.
- 3 Sugar Creek Sporting Clays & Hunting Preserve, 2285 Bono Rd, Mitchell, ☏ . Sporting clays & hunting preserve.
- 3 This 'N' That Antiques and Collectibles, 44 Teke Burton Dr., Mitchell.
- 4 Town Fair Shopping Center (SR 37 & 16th St).
- 5 Applacres, 9104 IN 37, ☏ . Fruits, vegetables, cheeses, jams, jellies, cider.
In addition to local fare, Bedford has several chain restaurants such as Golden Corral (1521 James Ave), Domino's (2210 O St.), Pizza Hut (2111 West 16th St.), Papa John's (2609 W 16th St.), and Little Caesar's (in the Town Fair Shopping Center).
- 1 Bob Evans, 3321 16th St., ☏ . Casual American chain started on an Ohio farm is known for family-style meals & a country vibe.
- 2 Court Room Sports Grill, 1539 J St, ☏ . Featuring cajun flavors from Louisiana.
- 3 Momma's and Pappa's, 2810 Washington Ave., ☏ .
- 4 Shorty's Den, 1300 7th St..
- 5 Spring Mill Inn. Spring Mill State Park, Mitchell.
- 6 Casa Brava Mexican, 3405 W 16th St, ☏ .
- 7 Grecco's, ☏ . 3 locations: 519 Lincoln Ave (Bedford), IN 37(Mitchell), 210 Hillcrest Way (Judah) +1 812-277-9000.
- 8 Edna's Pizza, ☏ .
- 1 Bandana's, 1220 5th St, ☏ .
- 2 Downtown at Dacar's, 1005 16th St., ☏ .
- 3 Shorty's Den, 1300 7th St., ☏ .
Hotels & motels
- 1 Holiday Inn Express Hotels & Suites, 2800 Express Ln (at IN 37), ☏ . 64 rooms, Free smart breakfast, Priority Club points, free wireless high speed, indoor pool, sauna, hot tub, 24-hour fitness room, meeting rooms
- 2 Plaza Motel, US 50 East, ☏ . 19 rooms.
- 3 Rosemont Motel, M St, ☏ . 25 rooms.
- 4 Spring Mill Inn, 3333 IN-60 E, Mitchell, ☏ , toll-free: . A state park lodge with indoor/outdoor pool, dining room, meeting rooms, gift shop.
- 5 Quality Inn & Suites Bedford West, 911 Constitution Ave, ☏ . 96 rooms, swimming pool, dining room, meeting rooms, lounge.
- 6 Super 8 Motel, ☏ , toll-free: . IN 37. 48 rooms, indoor pool, whirlpool spa, meeting room.
The zip code is 47421.
- 1 Bedford Public Library.
Most telephone numbers in Bedford consist of +1 812 plus a seven-digit number, while others use +1 930. A local or in-state telephone call requires all 10 digits of the local number be dialed (omitting just the leading +1 from a local landline call).
Signage on many established businesses may still display the original seven-digit numbers; dial 812 before these if no area code is indicated.
|Routes through Bedford|
|St. Louis ← Vincennes ←||W E||→ Seymour → Cincinnati|
|Indianapolis ← Bloomington ←||N S||→ Jct → Tell City → END|