Big White Ski Resort, usually referred to as Big White, is a Canadian ski resort 56 km (35 mi) southeast of Kelowna, in the Central Okanagan area of the Okanagan/Shuswap Valley in British Columbia interior. It is the third largest resort in British Columbia after Whistler (also known as Whistler-Blackcomb), and one of the larger resorts in North America.
Big White is in the Okanagan Valley region of British Columbia, in Canada. The mountain summit is at 2,319 m (7,608 ft) with a vertical drop of 777 m (2,549 ft), served by 16 lifts. The mountain receives 750 cm of annual snowfall. It has 2,765 acres (11 km²) of patrolled area of 7,355 skiable acres (30 km²). With 38 acres of night skiing, Big White has western Canada's largest resort night skiing area. It has a central village which comprises accommodation, eateries, bars and shops. The village is 1,755 m (5,758 ft) above sea level. Big White Mountain is one of the highest peaks in the southern Monashees, with over 100 marked runs.
Big White Ski Resort is 56 km (35 mi) southeast of Kelowna, the largest city in the Okanagan Valley.
- From Kelowna, follow Highway 33 for 32 km (20 mi) until you reach Big White Road. Another 24 km (15 mi) and you will arrive in the main village.
- From Vancouver, BC - 438 km (273 mi) - 4½ hrs via Hwy 97C
- From Seattle, Washington - 553 km (345 mi) - 6 hrs via Hwy 97C
- From Spokane, Washington - 453 km (238 mi) - 4½ hrs via Hwy 395
- From Silver Star Ski Resort - 130 km (59 mi) - 2 hrs via Hwy 97 / 33
You can fly into Kelowna International Airport, then drive from there (see above).
See and do
Aside from the amazing ski hills, there is a lot to do at Big White. Big White is known for its winter sports, including downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, tubing, ice skating, sleigh rides and dog sledding. Since Big White is in the Okanagan Valley, there are many non-winter activities to take part in, such as winery tours, hiking and mountain biking.
- [dead link] 6° Bistro (Slope-side in Stonebridge Lodge), ☏ . Tu-Su lunch noon-3PM, dinner from 6PM. Features regular wine tastings and events. Reservations recommended.
- Kettle Valley Steakhouse and Wine Bar. Ride the gondola to Happy Valley for delectable cuisine, relaxed surroundings, and a stylish wine bar offering Okanagan wines.
- Swiss Bear (in the Chateau Big White in the heart of the Big White village). Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. European cuisine and delicious fondues.
- Frank's Chinese Laundry Restaurant (in the Whitefoot Lodge). Chinese dining with a lunchtime buffet.
- The Copper Kettle Grill (slope side in the White Crystal Inn). Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- The Underground Pizzeria (in the lower level of the Village Centre Mall). Pizza for eat-in or take-out. Delivery is also available.
- Ridge Rocket Café (at the base of the Ridge Rocket and Plaza chairs). Serving hearty breakfasts, daily homemade soups, fresh salads & baked goods, burgers and fries.
- Gem Lake Café (at the Westridge Warming Hut). Coffee, fresh sandwiches and baked goods.
- Raakel's Ridge Pub. Raakel's Ridge Pub and Coltino's Ristorante. Ski in/ski out location at Big White Ski Resort.
- Snowshoe Sam's. Sam's has great pub atmosphere. Meals, après ski, games, DJ entertainment and live bands. The dining room is upstairs and features a big stone fireplace, superb food and the famous 'Gunbarrel Coffee' show.
- Loose Moose Café and Bar (at the Happy Valley Day Lodge). A fun atmosphere for the whole family. During the day the Loose Moose is the café which offers a variety of coffees, and pastries. In the evening, it's a family friendly restaurant that offers a full kids menu and nightly entertainment.
- Snow Ghost Lounge (in the White Crystal Inn). Live entertainment on weekends.
- Blarney Stone (at the Inn at Big White). Irish food, this bar has an inviting and friendly atmosphere.
- Big White vacation rentals in the ski resort
- The Urban Retreat Hostel, 7470 Porcupine Rd, ☏ . Check-in: 7AM-11PM, check-out: 7AM-11AM. A ski-in, ski-out location in the heart of the Big White Village. Open during the ski season - closes early April. Dorm: $35/night, $210/week, $550-650/month - taxes included. Double room: $85/night, $510/week +$20/night for a third person.
- Chateau Big White, 5335 Big White Road, toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com. In the heart of the resort with beautiful views of the village. An outdoor hot tub, the Black Diamond Bar & Grill, free underground parking, and day spa. Each unit has standard features including gas fireplace, microwave, mini-fridge and in-room safes. $182-249 standard double room.