Blarney is a village in County Cork.
You can go there on buses from Cork or take the Blarney sightseeing bus from the bus station in Cork. There are taxi ranks at the train station, airport and throughout the city.
- 1 Blarney Castle, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Just on the periphery of Blarney village. Though it's believed a settlement was established here as early as the 10th century, the castle was built around 1446 for the MacCarthy Chieftains of Munster. The MacCarthys had influence over Blarney and Munster throughout the many centuries of Anglo-Irish conflict until the defeat of the old Irish nobles by the forces of King William of Orange at the Battle of the Boyne in 1690. At this point, the Lord of Blarney was exiled and the castle was abandoned. Adults €18, Student/Senior €14, Child €8.
- 1 Blarney Stone (Cloch na Blarnan). Kiss the famous Blarney stone which supposedly gives the gift of the gab. You have to bend over backwards into one of machicolations on the top of the castle to kiss it. It is all very touristy, you can even buy a certificate to prove you kissed the stone. But the surroundings are really nice. There's no handicapped access, and you must be able to climb to the top of the castle. The staircase is steep and narrow.
There are plenty of tourist shops in the village of Blarney, which sell souvenirs. For grocery shopping there is a local SuperValu. There is also a Post Office, which sells postcards and souvenirs as well as stamps! The shops have plenty of beautiful wool sweaters made from local wool.
- 1 Blarney Woolen Mills, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Mon-Sat 9:30-18:00, Sun 10:00-18:00. World famous woolen goods including Aran sweaters
- Blairs Inn.
- Blarney Village has a few pubs.
- Blarney Caravan Park. Is about 2 km up a lovely country road from Blarney. The walk between the bus station and the park is an absolute killer but worth it for the price (about €9 per night for a campsite). Full amenities are included.
- 1 Blarney Vale B&B, Sheanlower, ☏ . Check-in: 15:00, check-out: 11:00. 5 minutes walk from Blarney Castle. Blarney Woolen Mills is 3 minute walk.
The small town of Kinsale is less then an hour away.