Dungarvan is a large coastal town in County Waterford.
Dungarvan is located beside a shallow eastward-facing bay, at the mouth of the Colligan River. The head office of Waterford County Council was located here until 2014, which made the town an important administrative centre. It offers a pleasant mix of modern facilities and old-world charm. A delightful harbour in the centre of the town contributes to the general ambiance of the place. Dungarvan is an ideal base from which to explore West Waterford, with lots of opportunities for outdoor adventure nearby.
Public transport: Bus Eireann bus from Cork or Waterford cities, stops in the centre of town, beside Davitts Bar. By car: Follow N25 route from Cork or Waterford cities. (35 mins to Waterford. 60 mins to Cork.) Sailing: Dungarvan has a very active sailing club which welcomes visiting sailors (with visitor moorings available in the centrally located harbour). NB: The sea channel into Dungarvan is shallow and winding. Wait for high tide before traversing it!
The town is compact enough that you can walk around it easily. If you plan to explore West Waterford from here, a car is essential (but cycling is also an option). The area around the town has several very nice cycle/walk tracks, including one that goes all the way to Clonea Beach (6km from town centre). Bicycle hire from CycleSports on the N25 or Mahony's Bike Shop on Sexton St.
- Old town-centre & quay-side.
- Dunvargan Castle is a polygonal 12th C keep. It's open June-Sept daily 10:00-18:00.
- Waterford County Museum, Augustine Street.
- Walton Park (near town-centre).
- Clonea Beach (blue-flag award).
- Helvick Head (scenic peninsula, in gaelic-speaking area).
- Traditional music at Mooney's Bar in Ring village.
- Ardmore village (25km west of Dungarvan). Of all the coastal towns in County Waterford, Ardmore stands out as the perfect getaway. It has a beautiful and important early Christian site, a pristine Blue Flag beach, a stunning cliff walk, a fine craft shop, an excellent restaurant, comfortable seaside accommodations, and a quaint town recently named Ireland's tidiest.
- Lismore Castle (25km north-west of Dungarvan).
- Comeragh Mountains
- Knockmealdown Mountains
- Multi-screen digital SGC Cinema (beside shopping centre).
- Walk or cycle on 6km scenic track from town-centre to Clonea beach.
- Swim at very safe Clonea beach (weather permitting).
- Walk 2km across Dungarvan Bay on the Cunnigar sand-spit (its also a bird sanctuary).
- Forest walks at Colligan Woods (5km north of town) or Glenshelane (near Cappoquin village).
- Visit Mahon Falls in the heart of the Comeragh Mountains.
- Visit the library at the quay-side.
- Spend a day ocean fishing on a charter boat (enquire at quay-side).
- Take a hot seaweed bath at Helvick Head.
- Visit the Copper Coast geopark near Bunmahon village.
- Go surfing at Bunmahon beach (advanced surfers only).
- Climb Sugerloaf Hill in the Knockmealdown Mountains.
- Play golf at 3 different courses within 5kn of town.
- Go hill-walking in the Nire Valley (near Ballymacarbery village).
- Go on a scenic loop drive to Cappoquin, Lismore, The Vee, Goatenbridge, Newcastle, Ballymacarbery, and back to Dungarvan.
- Swim in a pool at the Park Hotel, Clonea Strand Hotel or Gold Coast Hotel.
- Dungarvan Shopping Centre (mall with approx 20 shops).
- Old town-centre (many small shops & boutiques).
- Lidl (discount supermarket on N25).
Dungarvan is a wonderland for gourmets, with many great eateries, including:
- The Tannery. Famous restaurant.
- Nude Food. Quirky & chic cafe.
- Crews Restaurant.
- Interlude. Quay-side cafe.
- Indian Ocean (On the quay).
- Ormond Cafe (In the square).
- Merrys Bar. Bar-food.
- Moorings Bar. Bar-food.
- Davitts Bar. Bar-food.
- Black Rock stout from Dungarvan's award-winning micro-brewery.
- Nice pubs in town (Merrys, Moorings, Lady Belle, The Anchor, Davitts & lots more).
- The Park Hotel.
- The Tannery Townhouse. A very nice boutique guesthouse.
- Barnawee Bridge B&B (2km outside town).
- Large camp-site with good facilities at Clonea Beach (6km from town).
- Rent a holiday-house at Ballinacourty (5km from town). Enquire at Gold Coast Hotel.
- Park Hotel Dungarvan, Dungarvan, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Internet access at library on quay-side.
- Internet cafe Sip-n-Surf beside Davitts Bar