County Waterford is characterized by low-lying land to the east around Waterford City and on the south coast the distinctive fishing village of Dunmore East and further west is Tramore Bay. The north-western half of the county has the Comeragh Mountains, which rise to around 2,500 ft, while the south coast contains the towns of Stradbally and Dungarvan, with Cappoquin and Lismore further west.
Cities and towns
- 1 Waterford (Port Láirge) – county town and only city
- 2 Ardmore (Aird Mhór, "Great Height")
- 3 Cappoquin (Ceapach Choinn, "Choinn's tillage plot")
- 4 Dungarvan (Dún Garbhán, "Garbhann's Fort") – coastal town in the west
- 5 Dunmore East (An Dún Mór Thoir) – on the coast about 16 km from Waterford city
- 6 Lismore (Lios Mór, "great ringfort") – in the far west of the county
- 7 Stradbally (An tSráidbhaile) – on the Copper Coast
- 8 Tramore (Trá Mhór, "big strand/beach") – known for its beach and popular for surfing, about 12 km from Waterford city
- Visit Dunmore East, a beautiful fishing village, situated about 11 miles from the city. It is well known for its annual Bluegrass festival that is well worth the visit. Great pubs, restaurants and friendly people and the well known blaa (bread) is worth tasting.
- Take a tour of the Waterford Crystal factory in Waterford.
- Visit Tramore. A seaside town nestled in the sunny southeast of Ireland about 5 miles from Waterford city. There is excellent accommodation, a vibrant night-life, fine dining, an amusement park and a three mile long sandy beach. Tramore is situated along the route of the Southeast Coastal drive.
- Visit Lismore. A town situated close to the Knockmealdown mountains. Lismore castle is a sight to see with it's beautiful public gargens and contemporary art gallery.
Go hillwalking in the Comeragh Mountains. The Comeragh Mountains Walking Festival is held every March and is centred on the Nire Valley in west Waterford. Experienced local guides are available and there are a range of routes including tough and gentler walks and a number of short and easy walks suitable for beginners.