Tipperary is a town in County Tipperary.
In Irish, 'Tiobraid Árann' means 'The Well of the Arra' - a reference to the river which flows through the town. The well itself is located in the townland of Glenbane which is in the parish of Lattin and Cullen. This is where the river "Arra" rises. Little is known of the historical significance of the well.
Tipperary gives its name to the British music hall song "It's a Long Way to Tipperary".
Trains run every couple of hours from Dublin Heuston via Kildare, Portlaoise and Thurles to 1 Limerick Junction (90 min), which is 3 km northeast of Tipperary town. They continue south to Mallow and Cork, while connecting trains head west to Limerick.
2 Tipperary railway station is 300 m south of town centre. It has a connecting train to the Junction twice a day. The axe has long hovered over this branch service, and in summer 2020 no trains are running.
Expressway Bus 55 runs daily every two hours from Limerick city to Limerick Junction and Tipperary, continuing to Cahir, Clonmel, Carrick-on-Suir and Waterford. The bus between Tipperary and Cashel is axed.
- Kickham Monument midway along Main St commemorates Charles Kickham (1828-1882), the poet, writer, orator and founder-member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood. He was born at Mullinahone near Fethard, County Tipperary; he lived mostly in Dublin whenever he wasn't on the run or in jail.
- 1 The Maid of Erin Statue on Main St commemorates the three Manchester Martyrs, publicly hanged in Salford, England in 1867 for shooting dead a policeman while rescuing two Irish-American Fenians from a police van. They had not fired the fatal shot, but they were part of an armed mob of 30-40 men that ambushed the van. Five men were sentenced to death, but one of them was a US citizen and had his sentence commuted. Another was pardoned when the witness testimony against him was shown to be blatantly false. The same testimony had convicted the others, but in a climate of anti-Irish hysteria, an example had to be made. William Philip Allen, Michael Larkin, and Michael O'Brien were those hung, and their unfair trial and botched execution greatly swelled support for the Irish Republican cause.
- 2 Aherlow is the tiny village at the heart of Glen Aherlow. This scenic glen stretches 20 km from Bansha (on N24) to the east to Galbally in the west: by car or bike follow R663. Its north side is formed by the Slievenamuck Hills, with R664 climbing over from Tipperary via viewpoints and the Christ the King statue. Its south side is the Galtee Mountains.
- 3 Moor Abbey is the ruin of a 13th century Franciscan friary. It's on the boundary with County Limerick just east of the village of Galbally,
- See Cashel for Athassel Priory and the stump of Golden Castle, along N74 east of Tipperary.
- 1 Tipperary Racecourse, Limerick Junction (Next to Limerick Junction railway station), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. This course hosts both flat racing and National Hunt (jumps) April-Oct. The biggest meeting is "Super Sunday" on the first Sunday in October. Adult from €10.
- Ballykisteen Golf Club is 500 m northwest of the racecourse.
- 2 Tipperary Golf Course is 1.5 km south of town.
- Lidl is the main store in town, east end of Main St. It's open M-Sa 08:00-22:00, Su 09:00-21:00.
- 1 Ach na Sheen Guest House, Clonmel Rd, Tipperary E34 YT18, ☏ . Welcoming well-run B&B in town centre. No dogs. B&B double €90.
- Casey's and Emmett House are B&Bs on Main Street.
- The Bit & Bridle Inn opposite the racecourse has rooms.
- 2 Kilshane House, Tipperary E34 C674 (N24 five km east of town), ☏ . Grand mansion built in 1822 with four large bedrooms, and conservatory built 1860 with 12 standard-size rooms. It's often booked for wedding parties.
- 3 Ballyglass Country House is an excellent mid-range B&B along R664 towards the hills.
- 4 Bansha Castle built 1760 is available for self-catering lets, 7 bedrooms, sleeps 14-16.
There's a good mobile and 4G signal in town from all three carriers. As of July 2020, there are dead spots along the outer roads especially to Cashel, and 5G has not yet reached this area.