Blekinge [dead link] is a province in southern Götaland, with approximately 155 000 inhabitants. Its borders are identical to Blekinge County, Blekinge län. Blekinge is known as the garden of Sweden, the area where Olofström Municipality borders Scania is also referred to as being the southernmost wilderness in Sweden.
- 1 Karlskrona, county seat and home port of the Swedish Navy.
- 2 Karlshamn
- 3 Ronneby
- 4 Sölvesborg, home to Sweden Rock festival.
Just as the neighbouring Scania, Blekinge was part of Denmark, though ceded to Sweden in the Roskilde treaty of 1658. In 1680, the Swedish navy built a base at Karlskrona, soon making the city Sweden's third largest.
Blekinge can be divided into three geographical distinct areas: The archipelago, the lowland by the coast and the highland in the northern inland. Most of the inhabitants in Blekinge live in the five main cities and in the coastal lowland. The rest of Blekinge is sparsely inhabited. Outside the cities and villages most of the buildings are either farm houses or dwellings of considerable age. These older dwellings are popular amongst foreigners on vacation, and can be relatively expensive to buy, even though their standards are spartan (an outhouse and no tap water).
The dialects of Blekinge differs from standard Swedish, and are a bit similar to the Scanian dialects.
- By plane
- Ronneby airport, flights from Stockholm
- Copenhagen airport, plus train
- By train
- Öresundståg - Trains from Copenhagen, stopping at Malmö, Lund, Kristianstad, Ronneby ending in Karlskrona.
- SJ - Trains from Gothenburg. They stop in Alvesta, where there is connection from Stockholm. Train change in Emmaboda.
Resrobot is a search engine for all public transport inside Sweden.
- By boat
- DFDS Seaways runs a ferry line between Klaipėda in Lithuania and Karlshamn. The ferry line is mostly directed towards trucks and car drivers, but it is possible to book tickets for cyclists and pedestrians.
- Stena Line runs a ferry line between Gdynia in Poland and Karlskrona. The ferry line is mostly directed towards trucks and car drivers, but it is possible to book tickets for cyclists and pedestrians.
- By bus
- [dead link] Abumuseet, Holländarevägen 86, Svängsta. July and first two weeks of August: M-F 13:00-16:00, Sa 10:00-13:30, Su closed. Museum on the historical production of pocket watches and taximeters by AB Urfabriken, a company that later became Abu Garcia, that still produces sport fishing gear. It is possible to book a guided tour outside the season by calling the phone number mentioned on their website.
- Ebbamåla bruk, Hovmandsbygdsvägen 610, Kyrkhult, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Open for pre-booked groups. Old cast iron factory that has been left intact since it was closed in the 1960s. It is now a museum on the industrial history in Sweden spanning a century from 1850 to 1950.
- The Mörrum Kronolaxfiske is known for its salmon, sea trout and pike-perch fishing. It lies 950 meters from Mörrum railway station when following the Parkvägen street to the north (Mörrum river upstreams).
- Harasjömåla put and take fishing to the west of Olofström. Salmon trout, rainbow trout, pike, bream, perch, eel and roach. Only accessible by own transport.
- Ekopark Raslången is Sweden's southernmost wilderness. The 1,300 hectare large ecopark was inaugurated 2011 by Sveaskog, the state forestry, around the oblong Lake Raslången. The lake has virtually no settlements along its shores, which is very unusual for the south of Sweden. The forest is mixed coniferous and deciduous with the latter being at its northernmost latitude. The ecopark is also excellent for paddling canoe and fishing.
- Ninas Konditori, Parkvägen 43, Mörrum, ☏ . M-F 07:30-17:00, Sa 08:00-15:00, Su 08:00-15:00. Bakery and café (konditori). Excellent bread, cakes and buns baked on location.
- 1 [dead link] Röhults Vedugnsbageri, Röshultsvägen 71-3, Kyrkhult, ☏ . Saturdays in the summer season: 10:00-14:00. This rural café lies within an old barn that has been equipped with a 20 tons wood fired oven. Using 50 to 75 kilograms of wood they bake up to 400 breads of different sizes. It is possible to order pizzas as well. Open on a regular basis in the summer and on occations announced via Facebook.