Bolinas is an unincorporated town in Marin County, California. It has long been a counterculture enclave (a "free box" where people can leave and take items as needed is a local landmark) and has, in the past, been the home of several famous people such as musicians Grace Slick and Paul Kantner, and writer Richard Brautigan.
The locals are infamous for removing road signs pointing the way into town from nearby California State Highway 1, so finding the town may be tricky. Filling your tank before making the trip is advised.
If you'd prefer to take the bus, Marin Transit's West Marin Stagecoach route 61 offers somewhat inconvenient service from Marin City, where you can make connections from San Rafael and other parts of the Bay Area (but driving is sure to be a more convenient option).
- 1 Bolinas Museum, 48 Wharf Road, ☏ +1 415 868-0330, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The beach – it's hard to miss it.
- Go tidepooling: at low tide, you can see all sorts of plants and creatures in the tidepools. Watch out for slippery rocks, though, and be careful not to disturb the animals.
- 1 Coast Cafe, 46 Wharf Road, ☏ +1 415 868-2298.
- 1 Smiley's Saloon & Hotel, 41 Wharf Road, ☏ +1 415 868-1311, email@example.com.
|Routes through Bolinas|
|Fort Bragg ← Point Reyes Station ←||N S||→ Stinson Beach → San Francisco|