Bolsward is a town in Friesland.
Bolsward is one of the original eleven Frisian Cities after which the most popular Dutch ice skating event Elfstedentocht (eleven city tour) is named. However in comparison to other cities in the region it is considered to be more of a town nowadays. It's much quieter than its neighbours Sneek and Harlingen.
Bolsward has no rail connections but is easily reached by road.
Bolsward is right next to the A7 motorway which goes from Amsterdam to Groningen, just take the exit Bolsward and follow the Centrum signs and you'll be in the old town centre in no time. There's plenty of free parking space at Plein 1455, at the edge of the town centre, just follow the signs 'P - Gratis'.
Buses run right through the town centre with frequent connections to Sneek, Heerenveen and Harlingen, all of which have a direct train connection. There are also a lot of less frequent bus lines to the many villages surrounding Bolsward. Beware that in the north of The Netherlands in general a lot of bus services are limited during the evening and weekends.
The town centre is very walkable on foot or by bike, and there aren't many alternatives to choose from anyway.
- 1 Bierbrouwerij Us Heit, Snekerstraat 43, ☎ . Shop open Thu-Sa 10AM-6PM. A beer brewery and whiskey distillery with a shop, tours and tasting sessions. Tours start at €8.50.
- 2 Broerekerk, Broereplein 10. 8:30AM-Sunset. A very old 13th-century church that regularly has (modern) art exhibitions. The original roof and interior burnt down in 1980, but the walls are still standing and are topped by a large glass roof. Free.
- 1 [dead link] Frans' Hollands Eethuis, Jongemastraat 21, ☎ . Wed-Fri 11AM-11PM, Sat-Su 2PM-11PM. A traditional Dutch eatery and a good place to get a very reasonably priced traditional Dutch meal. These mostly consist of potatoes/fries, a piece of meat and cooked vegetables with some salad. €10-15.
- 1 Hotel-Grand Café De Wijnberg, Marktplein 5, ☎ . Located right on the town square, this is the biggest and most centrally located hotel in Bolsward. €75 Double, €50 Single, breakfast included.
- 2 Hotel de Groene Weide, Snekerstraat 2, ☎ . A small hotel with a café and billiards downstairs. €67.50 Double, €47.50 Single, breakfast included.
- 3 Stadscamping Bolsward, Badweg 5 (behind the bus station), ☎ . Next to a swimming hall, where you can also register and pay for your stay. Beware: on weekends the swimming hall is closed after lunchtime, in that case you have to ask another guest for a key to the campsite and pay when it's open. €15,95 for a 2-person tent, €18,05 for caravan.
- 4 Boerencamping Half-Hichtum, Hichtumerweg 14, 8701 PG Bolsward (1 mile N of town centre), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Showers included. 1 person/bicycle/tentnight €10.
- 1 PostNL Servicepunt in Primera, Nieuwmarkt 13. Mo-Thu 8AM-6:30PM, Fri 8AM-9PM, Sat 8AM-5PM. Sells stamps, OV-chipkaart (public transport chip card), and local phone cards amongst other things.
|Routes through Bolsward|
|Amsterdam ← Hoorn ←||W E||→ Sneek → Groningen|