Bretton Woods is a city in New Hampshire. It is a village within the town of Carroll, NH and is mainly famous as the location of the Bretton Woods Conference in July 1944 that attempted to rebuild the international economic system as World War II appeared to be coming to an end. 730 delegates from 44 Allied nations gathered at the Mount Washington Hotel for the United Nations Monetary and Financial Conference. The results of the three weeks of deliberations were, amongst others, the establishment of the IMF and the World Bank.
Take I-93 North through Franconia Notch to Exit 35, Route 3 North to Twin Mountain, NH. Take Route 302 East to Bretton Woods.
- From NH Seacoast/Portsmouth, NH
From I-95 or Route 101 or Route 4: exit onto Route 16N/Spaulding Turnpike to North Conway/Glen, NH. Follow Route 302W to Bretton Woods.
- From Portland, ME
Take Route 302 West to Bretton Woods.
Take I-95 North to Interstate 91 North to Interstate 93 South, Exit 40. Follow Route 302E to Bretton Woods.
Take Auto Route 10E to Auto Route 55 South to Interstate 91 South to I-93 South, Exit 40. Follow Route 302E to Bretton Woods.
- Estimated Driving Times
- Boston, MA 2 1/2 hours, 165 miles (265 km).
- New York City 5 3/4 hours, 330 miles (531 km).
- Portland, ME 2 hours, 90 miles (145 km).
- Montreal 3 hours, 175 miles (282 km).
- Bretton Woods Ski Resort, Route 302, ☏ . New Hampshire's largest ski area and home of Bode Miller. Sixty-six trails, two mountain peaks and eight chair lifts over 345 acres. Ability levels: 28% Novice, 44% Intermediate, 28% Advance/Expert. Alpine, night and cross country skiing; snow tubing and a terrain park.
- 1 The Mount Washington Cog Railway, 3168 Base Station Rd (Marshfield Base Station, off Route 302, look for a retired steam locomotive), toll-free: . Late Apr. - late Nov. The world's first (1869) mountain climbing cog railway and is still under operation today. The round trip takes three hours with a twenty minute stop at the summit. A special "ski train" runs during the winter.
- 1 Mount Washington Hotel, 310 Mt Washington Hotel Rd, ☏ . Tends to live on its history as the Conference hotel and is somewhat overpriced for the facilities offered. Many rooms are named after the economists and others who stayed in them during the Conference.
- Omni Bretton Arms Inn, 173 Mt Washington Hotel Rd, ☏ . Bed and Breakfast in the New Hampshire mountains and a few steps from the Mount Washington Resort. Includes full amenities and two scenic golf courses.
- Townhomes at Bretton Woods, 12 Crawford Ridge.
- The Lodge at Bretton Woods, 2653 Route 302 East.
- Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC), ☏ , .
- Highland Lodge comfortable lodge featuring private and shared rooms, living room, library, dining room.
- Shapleigh Bunkhouse hostel-style accommodations with benefits of a Highland Center stay.
- Education and Information Center friendly staff, meeting rooms; a hub for AMC youth and adult education programs.
- Thayer Hall carriage house with exhibit and meeting space.