North America > United States of America > Mid-Atlantic > New York (state) > Metro New York > Long Island > Suffolk County (New York) > Brookhaven (town, New York)
Brookhaven is a town on Long Island in the state of New York. It includes the villages of Belle Terre, Bellport, Lake Grove, Mastic Beach, Old Field, Patchogue, Poquott, Port Jefferson, and Shoreham. Other prominent communities include Brookhaven hamlet, Centereach, Center Moriches, Coram, Fire Island Pines, Mount Sinai, Shirley, Stony Brook, and Yaphank.
Fly to Brookhaven on a plane to LI MacArthur Airport
Ferry to Port Jeff from Bridgeport Conn. +1 631 473-0286
L.I.R.R. train into Ronkonkoma station from NYC +1 718 217-5477
Taxi service +1-800-829-4222
There are several major roads that allow for easy travel to various points of Brookhaven.
- Long Island Expressway
- Sunrise Highway
- North Ocean Ave
- Nicolls Road
The easiest way to travel is by car, though you can also travel by bus or taxi.
- 1 Brookhaven National Laboratory. One of the U.S. Department of Energy's national laboratories, founded in 1947. Normally closed to the public, but they have public open houses every summer, as well as group tours that require advance appointment.
- 2 Vietnam Veterans Memorial Park (On North Ocean Avenue). Dedicated in 1991 this monument is housed on Bald Hill, one of the highest points on Long Island and is marked with a 100 foot, red, white and blue, monument.
- 3 Brookhaven Amphitheater, 55 S Bicycle Path, Selden. Be sure to check out one of the many concerts and shows that come to the Brookhaven Amphitheater. For a listing of the shows please check out their website.
- 4 Long Island Game Farm, 489 Chapman Boulevard, Manorville. A children's zoo that includes some pens where visitors can pet or feed the anamials
- Walk around Port Jefferson, a seaside city that is full of shops, places to eat, a playground, and boating.
- 1 Smiths Point Beach. A public beach, that is very popular in the summer for Long Islanders. There is a campground located along the beach where sites can be rented for a week at a time. There is a playground and a place to purchase food on the shore as well. Lifeguards watch over the beach every day from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
- 2 Country Fair Park, 3351 Route 112 Medford, NY 11763 (I mile north of the LIE Exit 64), ☏ . Call for hours. Something to do for any age, but is frequented most by high school and college students. There are go-carts, two 18 hole mini-golf courses, batting cages with both fast and slow baseballs and softballs, a driving range and the latest addition to the park, outdoor laser tag. Please note that Country Fair Park is open only during certain seasons so call or check online for availability.
- Fun 4 All, 200 Wilson St # B1 Port Jeffrsn Sta, NY 11776, ☏ . 10AM-8PM everyday. Great for families with kids from 2 year to 12 years. Inflatable slides, giant mazes and obstacle courses encourage fun physical activity without competition.
- Boomers! Family Fun Park, 655 Long Island Ave Medford, NY 11763-2517, ☏ . Spend a day, playing mini-golf, rock climbing, go-carting, on the roller coaster or the bumper boats, or inside playing a variety of arcade games. Boomers is frequented by families with young children. The rides are based around kids from elementary school age and younger. Different bracelets are available for purchase based on which activities you would like to take part in.
- Island Cinemas, 1708 Montauk Hwy, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 10:30 AM to 11PM. Island Cinemas is a neighborhood 9 screen dine-in movie theater. Excellent fresh popped popcorn. $6.
- 1 Smith Haven Mall, Lake Grove, NY. With over 140 stores, a food court and a new outdoor mall section, this is the place to head to if you are looking to hit the stores. There is a wide selection of stores featuring clothing and products for children, young adults, and adults. If you come at Christmastime, Santa is available to have pictures taken with.
- Mamma Lombardi's, 400 Furrows Rd, Holbrook, ☏ . Pricy Italian Restaurant that is known for its pizza. Mamma Lombardi’s is part of a Lombardi’s chain, which includes several catering halls and a food also includes market.
- Salsa Salsa, 142 Main St, Port Jefferson, ☏ . Small Mexican cuisine restaurant. Food can be ordered to stay or to go. Choose from a wide variety of Mexican food including homemade salsa.
- Ralph's Italian Ice, 623 Horseblock Rd, Farmingville, ☏ . Wide assortment of desserts, from ice cream and shakes to ices in every flavor you can think of and some you wouldn’t. Ices come in both regular and cream form and are sold in a variety of sizes including a tub for parties or events. Ralph’s is only open during the warm weather seasons so be sure to call if you are planning to go in the early spring or late fall.
- Hampton Inn - Long Island / Brookhaven, 2000 North Ocean Avenue Farmingville, ☏ .
- Shore Motor Inn, 576 Sunrise Hwy West Patchogue NY 11772, ☏ .
- ShirleyMotel, 681 Montauk Hwy Shirley NY 11967, ☏ .
|Routes through Brookhaven|
|New York City ← Ronkonkoma ←||W E||→ Riverhead → END|
|Babylon ← Sayville ←||W E||→ Westhampton → Montauk|
|Babylon ← Sayville ←||W E||→ Westhampton → Montauk|
|Hicksville ← Ronkonkoma ←||W E||→ Southold → Greenport|