Brookmans Park is a village in the English county of Hertfordshire 14 mi (23 km) north of London.
Brookmans Park was named after John Brokeman who had an estate (park) in the 15th century. A second estate, Gobions, was built with a mock medieval gate house 1 Folly Arch.
The current dormitory village was built in this park, after the railway station was opened in 1926. It was to become a garden city but being in London's Green Belt it was not allowed to grow: the large shopping centre, Bradmore Green, shows this legacy.
The A1000 Great North Road from Potters Bar to Hatfield touches the eastern edge or the village of Brookmans Park.
Services run by Great Northern operate to 1 Brookmans Park railway station.These depart London Moorgate M-F every 20 minutes, Sa Su every 30 minutes, and call at a number of stations including Potters Bar and Hatfield as well as Old Street, Highbury & Islington, and Finsbury Park as in North London.
Route 610 from Luton to Potters Bar calling at Harpenden, Wheathampstead, Hatfield and Welham Green.
From Brookmans Park Station, head east into the village centre 'Bradmore Green'.
- Folly Arch a 3-storey mock medieval castle gateway built about 1730.
- 2 Brookmans Avenue. Enjoy driving past impressive houses.
- 3 Bungalettes, Georges Wood Road, AL9 7BT (follow Brookmans Avenue which becomes Georges Wood Road). 42 built with a veranda style front porch supported by Tuscan columns, as house-holders believed bungalows would to lower the tone of this area in the 1930s.
- 1 Gobions Wood (accessed from Moffats Lane for the small car park). A 36-hectare nature reserve.
- 1 Bryan's Homecentre, 21 Bradmore Green, AL9 7QR, ☏ +44 1707 656 976. 9PM-1PM M-Sa 2:15-5:30PM M/T/Th/F/S (closed Su). Bicycle sales, repairs and hardware shop.
- 2 Brookmans Family Butchers, 7 Bradmore Green, AL9 7QW, ☏ +44 1707 654 413. 7:30AM–5:30PM (closed Su).
- 3 Hammersley J R & Son, 57 Bradmore Green, Brookmans Park, AL9 7QS, ☏ +44 1707 649 872. W-Sa 9AM-1:30PM. Family fishmonger selling fresh fish daily from Billingsgate.
- 1 Miller & Carter, Great North Road, Bell Bar, AL9 6NA (on A1000), ☏ +44 1707 647 429. Daily noon-10PM. Steak house.
- 2 The Pearl Fish Bar, 47 Bradmore Green, AL9 7QS, ☏ +44 1707 664 664. Tu-Sa 11:30AM-2PM, M-Sa 4:30-9PM. Takeaway fish and chips.
- 1 Brookmans, Bradmore Green, AL9 7QW, ☏ +44 1707 664 144, email@example.com. M 9AM-10PM, Tu-Sa 9AM-11PM, Su 9AM-9PM. Posh village pub with a restaurant. Pizzas £10.50 to £13.50, mains £13.00 to £27,50.
- 2 Tealicious Tea Rooms, 83 Bradmore Green, AL9 7QT, ☏ +44 1707 707 575, https://firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-F 8AM-4PM, Sa Su 8AM-3PM. Family-run vintage tea room with homemade cakes and food.
Outside the village, down country lanes - a choice of two Woodman Inns in different directions:
- 3 Woodman Inn (Waterend), 21 Warrengate Road, AL9 7TT (close to Swanland Road (the old A1)), ☏ +44 01707 650 502. Daily noon-11PM. Bar-carvery restaurant, built in 1664.
- 4 The Woodman (Wild Hill), 45 Wild Hill Road, AL9 6EA, ☏ +44 01707 642 618. M-F 11:30AM-2:30PM, 5:30-11PM; Su noon-11PM. A superb boozer, unpretentious rural community local with a large garden. A staunch supporter of real ale. Pub grub is served lunchtimes (excluding Sunday).
- 5 Cock o' the North, Great North Rd, Bell Bar, AL9 6NA (on the A1000), ☏ +44 1707 653263. Noon-10PM. Pub with food.
No hotels in Brookmans Park so the nearest accommodation is in Hatfield or South Mymms.
- To the north Hatfield, 4 mi (6.4 km) along the A1000.
- To the north east via country lanes to Essendon and Hertford along the B158.
- To the south Potters Bar, 2 mi (3.2 km) .
- To the north west via Colney Heath to St Albans, 8 mi (13 km).
|Routes through Brookmans Park|
|Welwyn Garden City ← Hatfield ←||North South||→ Potters Bar → London|