Brookmans Park was named after John Brokeman who had an estate (park) in the 15th century. The current dormitory village was built in this park, after the railway station was opened in 1926. It was intended to become a garden city but being in London's Green Belt it was not allowed to grow.
Services run by Great Northern operate to Brookmans Park Station. These depart London Moorgate M-F every 20 minutes, Sa Su every 30 minutes, and call at a number of stations including Potters Bar and Hatfield as well as Old Street, Highbury & Islington, and Finsbury Park as in North London.
From Brookmans Park Station, head east into the village centre 'Bradmore Green'.
- 1 Folly Arch. A 3-storey mock medieval castle gateway built in about 1730.
- 2 Brookmans Avenue. Enjoy driving past impressive houses.
- 1 Gobions Wood. A 36-hectare nature reserve.
- 1 Hammersley J R & Son, 57 Bradmore Green, Brookmans Park, AL9 7QS, ☏ . W-Sa 9AM-1:30PM. Family fishmonger selling fresh fish daily from Billingsgate.
- 1 Miller & Carter, Great North Road, Bell Bar, AL9 6NA (on A1000), ☏ . Daily noon-10PM. Steak house.
- 2 The Pearl Fish Bar, 47 Bradmore Green, AL9 7QS, ☏ . Tu-Sa 11:30AM-2PM, M-Sa 4:30-9PM. Takeaway fish and chips.
- 1 Brookmans, Bradmore Green, AL9 7QW, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M 9AM-10PM, Tu-Sa 9AM-11PM, Su 9AM-9PM. Posh village pub with a restaurant. Pizzas £10.50 to £13.50, mains £13.00 to £27,50.
- 2 Tealicious Tea Rooms, 83 Bradmore Green, AL9 7QT, ☏ , ✉ https://firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-F 8AM-4PM, Sa Su 8AM-3PM. Family-run vintage tea room with homemade cakes and food.
Outside the village, down country lanes - a choice of two Woodman Inns in different directions:
- 3 Woodman Inn (Waterend), 21 Warrengate Road, AL9 7TT (close to Swanland Road (the old A1)), ☏ . Daily noon-11PM. Bar-carvery restaurant, built in 1664.
- 4 The Woodman (Wild Hill), 45 Wild Hill Road, AL9 6EA, ☏ . M-F 11:30AM-2:30PM, 5:30-11PM; Su noon-11PM. A superb boozer, unpretentious rural community local with a large garden. A staunch supporter of real ale. Pub grub is served lunchtimes (excluding Sunday).
- 5 Cock o' the North, Great North Rd, Bell Bar, AL9 6NA (on the A1000), ☏ . Noon-10PM. Pub with food.
|Routes through Brookmans Park|
|Welwyn Garden City ← Hatfield ←||North South||→ Potters Bar → London|