- For other places with the same name, see Hertford (disambiguation).
Hertford is the county town of Hertfordshire in England and has a population of around 29,000 in 2021. It was the birthplace of Samuel Stone, who is credited with being the founder of Hartford, Connecticut. The medieval town was built next to Hertford Castle that protects the ford through the River Lee replacing an earlier Saxon burh.
- 1 Hertford Town and Tourist Information Centre (Go Hertford), 10-12 The Wash, SG14 1PX, ☏ , email@example.com. Daily 9:30AM-5PM.
It lies 20 mi (32 km) miles directly north of London.
- National Cycle Route 61 (NCN 61). Long distance cycle route from Maidenhead (Berkshire) to Broxbourne (Hertfordshire).
Despite its relatively small size, Hertford has two railway stations:
- 1 Hertford East (HFE), Mill Road, SG14 1SB. Regular services from London Liverpool Street and Stratford stations.
- 2 Hertford North (HFN), North Road, SG14 1NB. Regular services from London Moorgate and Stevenage stations.
Hertford bus station is at Bircherley Green.
Hertford is close to the A10, A414, A1(M) and M25. From the A10 take the junction for Hertford at Rush Green. From the A1(M) take Junction 4 for Welywn Garden City and follow the A414 Eastbound. From the M25 Junction 23 links up with the A1(M), or Junction 25 links the A10. The town can be reached in 45 minutes from Stansted Airport via the A10 and A120. It can be reached from London Gatwick and London Heathrow via the M25.
Hertford can be reached by public transport from all five London airports:
- London Heathrow (LHR IATA) – Greenline 724 bus (2½ hr) or the Piccadilly Line connecting at Finsbury Park to Hertford North (1½ hr).
- London Stansted (STN IATA) – National Express bus route 737 (45 mins); or Greater Anglia train to Broxbourne and change for train to Hertford East.
- London Gatwick (LGW IATA) – Thameslink train to Finsbury Park and change for train to Hertford North.
- London City (LCY IATA) – Docklands Light Railway (DLR) to Stratford station, then train to Hertford East.
- London Luton (LTN IATA) – National Express bus route 737 to Hertford East station (1 hr).
Hertford has a small town centre and everything can be seen by walking around.
Points of interest include:
- 1 Hertford Castle, The Castle, SG14 1HR, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Dates back to 900 AD, although only the gatehouse and some walls are remaining. The building is now the government office of Hertford Town Council, a museum, and an event space.
- 2 St. Leonard’s Church, 28 St Leonard's Rd, Bengeo, SG14 3JW (from Port Hill follow Hartham Bank footpath north of Hartham Common), ☏ . A Norman church built about 1120 and the oldest building in Hertford.
- 3 St Nicholas Hall (Beckwith & Son), 43 St Andrew St, SG14 1HZ (next to St Andrews Church), ☏ .
- 4 The home of Alfred Russel Wallace, Wallace House, 11 St Andrew Street, SG14 1HZ. Russel proposed the theory of natural selection more or less at the same time as Charles Darwin. It is marked with a plaque.
- 5 Quaker Meeting House, 50 Railway St, SG14 1EH. The oldest purpose-built one in the world (in Railway Street), in use since 1670.
- 6 Shire Hall, 4 Market Place, SG14 1DF, ☏ . It was built in 1779 and designed by the noted architect, Robert Adam.
- 7 Samuel Stone memorial, Mill Bridge, SG14 1PZ (next to Hertford Theatre on Mill Bridge). A statue of the founder of Hartford.
- 8 Hertford Museum, 18 Bull Plain, SG14 1DT, ☏ . Although small, this museum in the town centre offers a fascinating range of artifacts and an oversight of the history of the town.
- 9 Christ's Hospital (Bluecoat's School), 1 Bluecoats Ave, Hertford SG14 1PB.
- Walk along the rivers. Hertford is at the confluence of four rivers, with the Rivers Beane, Mimram and Rib flowing into the River Lea and forming a navigable canal at Hertford, with the 10 Hertford Castle Weir. next to the Hertford Theatre.
- 1 Hertford Theatre, The Wash, SG14 1PS, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 2 Manic Ceramics, 22 Port Vale, SG14 3AB, ☏ . Tu-F 10AM-5PM. Paint your own pottery
Hertford is a noted centre for shops selling antiques and collectables.
- 1 Mark Wines Antiques, 1 St. Andrew St, SG14 1HZ, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 Sworders, 42 St. Andrew St, SG14 1JA, ☏ , email@example.com. Fine art auctioneer.
- 3 Rossi's Attic, 4 Mill Bridge, SG14 1PY, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Vintage retro antiques & collectables.
- 4 Eye Mind Heart, 41 Fore St, SG14 1AL, email@example.com. 9AM–6PM. Homewares shop.
- 5 The Shop, 19-21 Parliament Square, Hertford SG14 1EX. Homewares Shop.
- 6 Hertfords Farmers Market, Salisbury Square, SG14 1BG. 8AM-3PM 2nd Sa every month. Fruit & vegetables, cheese.
- 1 Oh My Cod (Fish Bar), 39 Cowbridge, SG14 1PN, ☏ . M-Th 11:30AM-10PM, F Sa 11:30-11PM, Su 3-10PM.
- 2 Oishii, 33 Green Dragon Vaults, The Wash, SG14 1PT, ☏ , info@Oishiihertford.com. M-F noon-3PM 6-11PM, Sa Su noon-11PM. Japanese restaurant.
- 3 Mr Tanaka's, 2 Post Office Walk, SG14 1DL, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Japanese and Katsu restaurant.
- 4 Veyso's Brasserie, 97-101 Fore Street, SG14 1AS, ☏ , email@example.com. Su-Th noon-11PM, F Sa noon-midnight. Mediterranean restaurant.
- 5 Lussmanns, 83 Fore Street, SG14 1AL, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. European bistro specialising in fish and grill dishes amid clean, modern decor with a cosy basement.
- 6 Proove Pizza, 3 Parliament Square, Hertford SG14 1EX, ☏ . Neapolitan pizza & small plates.
- 1 The Blackbirds, 15-17 Parliament Square, SG14 1EX (by the war memorial with the hart statue), ☏ , email@example.com. 11AM-10PM.
- 2 Dog and Whistle, 112 Fore St, SG14 1AB, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 Hertford House Hotel, 1 Fore St, SG14 1DA (by the war memorial with the hart statue), ☏ , email@example.com.
- 4 Lord Haig, 5 South St, SG14 1AZ, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 11AM-10PM. McMullens.
- 5 Lomo Bar and Grill, 25A St. Andrew Street, SG14 1HZ, ☏ .
- 6 Old Cross Tavern, 8 St Andrew St, SG14 1JA, ☏ , email@example.com. 4:30-10PM.
- 7 The Practitioner, 76-78 Fore St, SG14 1BY, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 8 The Snug, 32-36 Railway St, SG14 1BA, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 9 White Hart, Salisbury Square, SG14 1BW, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 10 The Woolpack, Mill Bridge, SG14 1PZ, ☏ , email@example.com.
Some town centre pubs that don't sell McMullen's Beer:
- 11 The Hertford Bell, 24 Railway St, SG14 1BA, ☏ . 11AM-10PM. Green King
- 12 The Quietman, 2/4 Fore St, SG14 1BZ (by the war memorial with the hart statue), ☏ .
- 13 The Six Templars, 1 The Wash, SG14 1PS, ☏ . 8AM-11PM. Wetherspoons.
- 14 White Horse, Castle St, SG14 1HH, ☏ . M-Th 4-11PM, F Sa noon-11PM, Su noon-10PM. Fullers
Out of Hertford's town centre:
- 15 The Black Horse, 29-31 West St, SG13 8EZ, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th noon-11PM, F Sa noon-midnight, Su noon-10:30PM. Traditional free house established in 1817.
- 16 Great Eastern Tavern, 29 Railway Pl, SG13 7BS, ☏ . noon-10PM. McMullens
- 17 The Old Barge, 2 The Folly, SG14 1QD (next to the canal), ☏ . W-F 5-9PM, Sa noon-9PM, Su noon-6PM. Real ale and cider free house.
To the north of Hertford in Bengeo:
- 18 The Millstream, 88 Port Vale, SG14 3AF, ☏ , email@example.com.
- 19 White Lion, 59 Bengeo St, Bengeo, SG14 3ET, ☏ .
Coffee and milkshakes
- 20 Hertford Coffee Lab, 6 Bull Plain, SG14 1DT, firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Sa 9AM-5PM, Su 9AM-4PM. small-batch, hand-roasted coffee, made in Hertford.
- 21 Shaken Cow, 5 Maidenhead Street, SG14 1DP, email@example.com. F noon-5PM, Sa 9:30AM-5:30PM, Su 11AM-4PM. A shake bar
- 22 Il Vino Cafe, 82 Fore St, SG14 1BY, ☏ . 8:30AM-4PM. Italian family-run cafe.
- 23 Bebo Café, 1 Railway St, SR14 1BG, ☏ . 8AM-5PM.
- 24 Brad & Dills, 14 Market Pl, SG14 1DQ, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. 9AM-4PM. coffee & bagels.
- 1 Cinnabar Hotel, 88-96 Fore St, SG14 1AA, ☏ . 4-star hotel with night club and 14 individually decorated rooms. Fair restaurant with extensive wine list. £90-150.
- 2 Number One Port Hill, 1 Port Hill, SG14 1PJ, ☏ . Gorgeous arty B&B with three rooms in a Georgian town house. No children under 12 or dogs. B&B double £130.
- 3 Salisbury Arms Hotel (was the Bell), Fore St, SG14 1BZ, ☏ . M-Sa 8AM-10PM, Su 8AM-8:30PM. Beautiful Grade II* 15th-century McMullens Hotel with white pargeted façades. (Closed for renovation as of Aug 2022.)
- 4 The White Horse Hotel, 234 Hertingfordbury Road, Hertingfordbury (1.4 miles west from Hertford along A414, turn south at Thieves Lane roundabout into Hertingfordbury Village), ☏ , email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 11:00. A country inn dating from the 15th-century, this pub with guest rooms is in the quiet village of Hertingfordbury. £90+.
- 2 Public toilet (adjacent to Six Templars by the entrance to the castle). free.
The surrounding villages are very attractive and very affluent as the area forms part of London's commuter belt.
- To the east, Ware, 3 mi (4.8 km) miles following the River Lea.
- To the west, Hatfield, 8 mi (13 km) miles along the A414 and another 6 mi (9.7 km) to St Albans.
- To the south west through country lanes to Essendon, Brookmans Park and Potters Bar along the B158.
|Routes through Hertford|
|Stevenage ← Watton-at-stone ←||Stevenage London||→ Finsbury Park → Moorgate|
|END ←||Hertford London||→ Broxbourne → Liverpool Street|
|Maidenhead ← Welwyn Garden City ←||W E||→ Ware → Broxbourne|
|Cambridge ← Buntingford ←||N S||→ Hoddesdon → London|
|Hemel Hempstead ← Hatfield ←||W E||→ Harlow → Maldon|