Maldon is a town in Essex.
The town lies at the eastern end of the River Blackwater Estuary and on the River Chelmer. It's best known for its sea salt. Dating back to 913 (when the town was identified in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle), the area was settled by East Saxons in the 5th century (the area to the south of the town is still known as the Dengie Peninsula names after the Dæningas).
Maldon is the name of both the town and the surrounding district.
The town has long been a base for the famous Thames Barges, many based at Hythe Quay on the northern edge of the town at the confluence of the Rivers Chelmer and Blackwater. These magnificent vessels no longer serve their historic goods transport purpose, but surviving and restored vessels are available for charter and recreational trips.
The main road into Maldon is the A414.
Maldon train station fell victim to the Beeching Report and closed in 1964. However, nearby train stations include
- 1 Chelmsford Train Station, Duke St, Chelmsford, CM1 1HT (10 miles from the town). Station operated by and rail services run by Greater Anglia
- 2 Witham Train Station, Albert Rd, Witham, CM8 2BS (7½ miles from the town). Station operated by and rail services run by Greater Anglia
- 3 Colchester Train Station, Station Approach Rd, Colchester, CO1 1XD (22 miles from town).
You can get a bus to Maldon directly from Chelmsford train station.
First Group run a number of services to/from the town, including
- 31B/31C/31X Chelmsford to Burnham via Maldon
- 33 Chelmsford to Southminster via Maldon.
- 73 chelmsford to Maldon
- 75 Essex University, Colchester to Maldon
- National Cycle Route 1 running from Shetland to Dover runs through the town passing through Colchester to the NE and Chelmsford to the W.
- National Cycle Route 16 Bishop's Stortford to Southend-on-Sea connects with National Cycle Route 1 4½ miles N of the town.
The town is small enough to see on foot.
- 1 All Saints Church, High Street, CM9 4QE, ☏ . Maldon's parish church is of interest to Americans owing to the presence of a memorial window to Lawrence Washington, who is buried here and was an ancestor of George Washington. Among other things, it depicts the American eagle, the British lion, the Mayflower, the Statue of Liberty and the Declaration of Independence.
- 1 Five Lakes Hotel, Golf Club, Colchester Rd, Tolleshunt Knights, CM9 8HX, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- Maldon Mud Race, Promenade Park, Maldon, ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. A "tradition" started in 1973 with a challenge to a guest in a local pub, the event has grown in size and reputation and is now held annually each spring. If competing be prepared to get dirty, but many attend just to watch the event. A 500 m race in thick mud across the River Blackwater, hundreds competing (including many in fancy dress) with thousands spectating all with a focus of raising money for charity.
Thames Barge Trips
- 4 Topsail Charters, The Hythe, Maldon, CM9 5HN, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 5 Thames Sailing Barge Trust, The Hythe, Maldon, ☏ (mobile), ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 6 SB Kitty, The Hythe, Maldon CM9 5HN, ☏ .
- 7 S B Thalatta (Thames Barge), The Hythe, Maldo CM9 5HNn, ✉ email@example.com.
- Maldon Salt Company, Ltd., Wycke Hill Business Park, Maldon CM9 6UZ, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. This is a famous sea salt manufacturer, in business under this name since 1882. Many high-end chefs like and use their salt, which is also more widely distributed. Salt-making is a traditional occupation in the region, with a history going back 2,000 years. It's not clear from the website whether it is possible to visit the factory, but you could try contacting them.
- 1 Asda (Supermarket), Bentalls Complex, Colchester Rd, Heybridge, CM9 4GD, ☏ . M-Sa 7AM-11PM, Su 10AM-4PM. ATMs
- 2 Tesco Extra (Superstore/Supermarket), Fulbridge, Maldon CM9 4LE, ☏ . M-Sa 6AM-midnight, Su 10AM-4PM. Petrol (different hours). ATMs. Pharmacy (different hours)
- 1 The Pig (formerly the Secret Garden) (Restaurant), 38 High St, Maldon CM9 5PN, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. W Th noon-2:30PM & 6-9PM, F noon-2:30PM, & 6-9:30PM, Su noon-3PM.
- 2 Prezzo (Italian Restaurant & Take-away), 69 High St Maldon CM9 5EP, ☏ . Daily noon-11:20PM.
- 3 Intimo-Fresco (Italian Restaurant), The Gables, 116 High St, Maldon CM9 5ET, ☏ . Tu-F noon-3PM & 5-10PM, Sa noon-10PM, Su noon-8PM.
- 4 Maldon Pie 'N' Mash (Restaurant & Take-away), 136 High St, Maldon CM9 5BX, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-F 11AM-4:30PM, Sa 11AM-5PM, Bank Holidays 11AM-4:30PM.
- 5 Balti Bhujon (Indian Restaurant & Take-away), 24 Mill Rd, Maldon CM9 5HZ, ☏ .
- 1 The Jolly Sailor (Pub & Food), Basin Rd, Heybridge Basin CM9 4RS, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Th 11AM-midnight, F Sa 9AM-1AM, Su 9AM-midnight.
- 2 The Old Ship (Pub & Food), Lockhill, Heybridge Basin CM9 4RX, ☏ . Su-Th 9AM-midnight, F Sa 9AM-1AM.
- 3 The Sunny Sailor (Pub), 1 Fullbridge, Maldon CM9 4LE, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Pub: M-Sa 11AM-10PM, Su 11AM-9PM; food: daily noon-2:30PM.
- 4 The Oak House (Bar & Café), 35 High Street, Maldon CM9 5PF, ☏ . M-Th 8:30AM-11PM, F 8:30AM-late, Sa 9AM-late, Su 9AM-10PM.
- 1 The Limes (Guesthouse), 21 Market Hill, Maldon, CM9 4PZ, ☏ .
- 2 Hanson House (B&B), 58 Holloway Rd, Heybridge CM9 4SQ, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Free Wi-Fi. Free on-site parking Single occupancy from £55; Double occupancy from £77.
- 3 The White Horse Inn (Hotel), 26 High St, Maldon CM9 5PJ, ☏ .
- 4 32 The Hythe (B&B), 32 The Hythe Maldon CM9 5HN, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Wi-Fi. Bike storage. No children under 14. Cash or cheque only.
Maldon is probably one of the safest out of all the towns in Essex. But that doesen't mean there is no crime. General common sense will keep you out of any danger. The north west area of Heybridge should be avoided on foot at night, it is known by locals as a pretty rough area. The park at West Maldon Community Centre on a Friday night is sometimes a favoured hangout for drunk teenagers.
Be aware that all the streetlights are turned off after midnight, and it would be strongly ill advised for you to walk the streets at that time. (The first night the lights went out a girl was violently attacked whilst walking home).
- 1 Post Office, 9-10a King Georges Place, Maldon CM9 5BZ.