Bullhead City is across the Colorado River from Laughlin, Nevada, known for its many casinos.
Spirit Mountain in the distance was known as the origin of life on earth for the Mojave people who once occupied the area.
In 1864 a landing for steamboats from Yuma was established here called Hardyville as it was the furthest north that the river was continuously navigable. But over time other landings as well as railroad crossings stole commerce away until Hardyville basically vanished.
By the 1970s, vitality returned with the building of Davis Dam and Lake Mohave. Between Bullhead City and Laughlin on the Nevada side of the river, the area boomed, especially with snowbirds escaping from their wintry domiciles elsewhere.
Arizona State Hwy 68 bisects Bullhead City, connecting to Kingman and eventually Laughlin to the west. Bullhead City can be reached from Las Vegas via US 95 to NV state Route 163, or from Kingman via AZ state Route 68.
- 2 Harry Reid International Airport (LAS IATA), 5757 Wayne Newton Blvd, ☏ , fax: . LAS in Las Vegas is the nearest major airport, about 99.9 miles (160.77 km), a 1 hour 38 mins drive, northwest of Bullhead City is served by many domestic and international air carriers. Discount air carriers serving LAS include Southwest Airlines.
- 3 Kingman Airport (IGM IATA), 7000 Flightline Dr, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. (Starting April 7, 2009) Great Lakes Airlines has daily trips from Ontario, CA. IGM is also a general aviation airport with fuel, tiedown parking, and major airframe and powerplant support services available.
- 4 Laughlin/Bullhead International Airport (IFP IATA), 2550 Laughlin View Drive, Suite #117, ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. 8AM-5PM Monday thru Friday. Airlines servicing Bullhead City: Republic Airline (317) 484-6000 www.rjet.com, Sun Country Airlines (800) 359-6786 www.suncountry.com. IFP is also a general aviation airport with fuel, tiedown parking, and major airframe and powerplant support services available.
- See other nearby airports:
- Sun Valley Airport.
- Willow Springs Ranch Airport.
- Western Arizona Regional Medical Center Heliport.
- Sergio Private Airport.
- Grand Canyon West Airport.
- Grand Canyon West-2 Heliport.
- Colorado River Museum, 1239 AZ-95 (inside community park). Exhibits ranging from Native American artifacts to slot machines. Tel: +1 928-754-3399. Tu-Sa 10AM-3PM.
- Bullhead City Community Park, 1251 AZ-95. It might seem a bit like a redneck riviera, but this Colorado river venue offers opportunities for swimming, kayaking, and motorized water recreation. Just watch out for beer can tabs as you're walking in the water and careless jet ski operators who might try to buzz right over you. Daily 4AM-11PM.
- Lake Mohave, this body of water above Davis Dam offers more of the same but on a grander and possibly more peaceful scale.
- Katherine Landing Marina, 2690 Katherine Spur. Here you can rent various sorts of watercraft like patio boats for perusing Lake Mohave at your own pace. Also has scuba diving information, dining, and camping/lodging. Tel: +1 928-754-3245.
- Spirit Mountain Casino, 8555 AZ-95, Mohave Valley. If the glitzy Nevada casinos prove too much for you, you can try this toned-down option run by the Mohave tribe. Thankfully it's not a smoke chamber like some due to its non-smoking policy. Tel: +1 928-346-2000. Daily 7AM-Midnight.
- 1 Davis Camp, 2251 Hwy 68. Tent sites for dry camping (toilets and showers within walking distance); RV sites with full hookups. Laundry facility available onsite.
|Routes through Bullhead City|
|END ←||W E||→ Kingman → Ends at|
|Laughlin ← becomes ←||N S||→ Needles → Lake Havasu City via|