Laughlin is located in the southernmost tip of Nevada at the bank of Colorado River (bordering Arizona), 90 mi (140 km) south of Las Vegas. The town got its name from Don Laughlin who purchased an old motel in the area in 1964 and opened the first casino. It is the third most visited casino and resort destination in the state after Las Vegas and Reno.
Most people travel to Laughlin by car.
From Las Vegas
Interstate 515, US 93/95 south through Las Vegas towards Boulder City. After passing through Henderson and the Railroad Pass, take ramp and turn right onto US 95 south toward Searchlight/Laughlin for 55 mi (89 km) miles. Turn left onto NV 163. Head east for 19 mi (31 km) miles. Turn right on Casino Drive.
Approximately 98 mi (158 km) from Las Vegas; 2 hours
US 93 north to I-40 west through Kingman. Take the Bullhead City / Las Vegas exit and turn right at the signal at the end of the exit ramp. Continue west taking the Highway 68 ramp toward Bullhead City / Laughlin. Highway 68 merges into Arizona Highway 95. Turn right at the Laughlin Bridge.
Approximately 225 mi (362 km) from Phoenix; 4 hours.
From Southern California
I-15 north to Barstow; I-40 east to Needles, CA. Exit on River Road cutoff, turn north for 22 mi (35 km) miles on Needles Highway to Casino Drive, turn right.
There are charter and seasonal flights from some American and Canadian cities to 1 Laughlin-Bullhead International Airport (IFP IATA) in Bullhead, Arizona across the river. The airport is not served by any major airline.
There are guided one day tours from Las Vegas by bus.
There are no freeways that pass through Laughlin. The Southern Nevada Transit Coalition provides bus service on two routes in Laughlin, one of which operates 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
- 1 Grapevine Canyon Petroglyphs. Prehistoric rock drawings dating back between 1100 and 1900 AD.
If you win...
Chances are that, if you win it big in Laughlin and you are not a U.S. citizen your winnings will be subject to a 30% withholding tax from the Internal Revenue Service. That $10,000 slot winning can dwindle quite quickly if that is taken off the top. Not to worry though you can reclaim your gambling winnings tax through a 1042-S form. You should get this from the casino so don't lose it: it is your starting ticket to getting your gambling winnings back.
Laughlin has nine major hotel-casinos that line the Colorado River, and also is home to the Laughlin River Walk, the walkway which runs between the row of Laughlin's casinos and the Nevada shore of the Colorado River. The casino-hotels are similar to the ones in Las Vegas with slot machines, gaming tables, restaurants and shopping.
- 1 Laughlin Outlet Center, 1955 S Casino Dr (across the street from the Aquarius Casino Resort), ☎ . Mon - Sat 9AM to 8PM Sun 10AM to 7PM Closed Easter Sunday, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. Outlet shopping with more than 60 merchants, indoor food court and market, and eight acres of convenient indoor parking.
Many of the casinos include shopping areas with souvenirs and other merchandise such as used playing cards and crap dice.
The casinos offer a variety of dining options, ranging from buffets to simple cafes to gourmet restaurants.
- The Range Steakhouse, 2900 S Casino Dr, ☎ . Steakhouse at Harrah's Laughlin.
- Saltgrass Steak House, 2300 S Casino Dr, ☎ . Steakhouse at the Golden Nugget.
As at Las Vegas, free drinks are offered to all gamblers actively playing games on the casino floor. You should tip the waitress at least $1 per drink. Failure to do so will most likely result in the waitress visiting you less often, and visiting those more often who do tip.
- 10 Avi Resort & Casino, 10000 Aha Macav Pkwy, ☎ . Native American casino right on the southern tip of the state.
- 12 Big Bend of the Colorado State Recreation Area, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. Day use:$9/ vehicle. Boat launch $15. Camping $20/ night, plus $10 for utility hook-ups.
- Searchlight – Located approximately 40 mi (64 km) to the northwest of Laughlin on the SR-163 and then US-95. A former mining town, Searchlight maintains its heritage with its own museum, which while small is also educational. The town also has two casinos both run by Terrible's and two motels. Searchlight Airport is currently of no use to travellers.
|Routes through Laughlin|
|Las Vegas ← Searchlight ←||N S||→ Needles → Blythe|
|Ends at ←||W E||→ becomes → Bullhead City|