The airport was voted "best large airport in the United States" by Wall Street Journal in 2019.
It is a hub for American Airlines and Southwest Airlines. There are only two terminals: 3 and 4. There are direct flights to Alaska, Hawaii, Canada, Costa Rica, Germany, Mexico, and the United Kingdom.
|Terminal 3 (officially called John S. McCain III Terminal) |
Advanced Air, Air Canada/Air Canada Express/Air Canada Rouge, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, Boutique Air, Contour Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Denver Air Connection, Frontier Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Southern Airways Express, Spirit Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, and United Airlines.
|Terminal 4 (officially called Barry M. Goldwater Terminal) |
American Airlines, British Airways, Condor Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Volaris, WestJet.
The terminal's odd numbering is an artifact of its development in the decades since the 1950s, when Terminal 1 was opened. Terminal 1 was demolished in 1991. Terminal 2, which opened in the 1960s, ceased operations in February 2020 and was subsequently demolished. Terminal 3 opened in 1979 and was modernized and expanded in 1997 and again in 2020. Terminal 4 opened in 1990, briefly co-existed with Terminals 1, 2 and 3. Throughout the airport's growth, airport officials have simply decided to not renumber the terminals.
See also: PHX airport map.
Entrances to the airport along E Sky Harbor Blvd, running east-west through the airport.
- From the east (East Valley) – connections from Arizona State Route 143 (AZ 143) and from Arizona Loop 202 (Loop 202).
- From the west (Phoenix and West Valley) – connection from Interstate 10, north of I-10/I-17 interchange and south of I-10 / AZ 51 / AZ 202 interchange.
The airport has parking lots near each terminal and economy lots on each end:
- 1 Terminal 3 Parking.
- 2 Terminal 4 Parking.
- 3 East Economy Lot. with covered and uncovered parking; Sky Train to connect to terminals.
- 4 West Economy Lot. with covered and uncovered parking; must walk to Terminal 3 (can ride Sky Train to Terminal 4).
Parking rates (Aug 2022):
- Terminal 3 Garage: $4/hour, $30 daily max.
- Terminal 4 Garage: $4/hour, $30 daily max.
- East Economy Lot, uncovered: $4/hour, $14 daily max.
- East Economy Lot, garage: $4/hour, $16 daily max.
- West Economy Lot, uncovered: $4/hour, $9 daily max.
- West Economy Lot, garage: $4/hour, $16 daily max.
A combined Rental Car Center for all brands is located southeast of the airport, with a shuttle bus to/from the terminals.
- 1 Rental Car Center (RCC), 1805 E Sky Harbor Circle South (between 16th St and 24th St, south of Buckeye Rd (PHX airport map to RCC)).
City bus – Valley Metro bus line #13 goes west to S 75th Ave along S Buckeye (via Greyhound depot) from Terminal 2.
Regional bus –
By light rail
The free PHX Sky Train goes from Terminals 3 and 4 at the airport to 44th & Washington St Station where you can catch the #1 bus (west to the downtown Central Station or east to Priest & Washington in Tempe); #44 bus (north to the Desert Ridge Marriott Resort in Deer Valley along N 44th St & Tatum); or the light rail (east to Tempe & Mesa or west to Midtown and northern Phoenix along Central Ave).
The PHX Sky Train connects to the Valley Metro system at the station at 44th and Washington Streets.
From the 44th Street Transit Center you can catch the #1 (west to the downtown Central Station or east to Priest & Washington in Tempe); #44 bus (north to the Desert Ridge Marriott Resort in Deer Valley along N 44th St & Tatum); or the light rail (east to Tempe & Mesa or west to Midtown and northern Phoenix along Central Ave).
The PHX Sky Trains depart every 3-5 minutes, operating 24 hours a day.
The PHX Sky Train connects Terminals 3 and 4 (the ride is free).
You must exit and re-enter security when you transfer terminals; there are no post-security connectiosn between the two terminals.
Rental car connection
You must take a Rental Car Shuttle between the Rental Car Center and the airport terminals.
- American Admirals Club (3 locations at Terminal 4: Above Gates A7 and A9, between Gates A19 and A21, and above Gates B5 and B7.).
- Delta Sky Club (Terminal 3, near Gate F8).
- United Club (Closed due to closure of Terminal 2 in February 2020. To be relocated to Terminal 3.).
- The Centurion Lounge (Escape Lounge) (Terminal 4, on the upper level across from Gate B22.). 5:30AM-10PM. $40 for passes booked at least 24 hours prior to visit. $45 for passes purchased at the door. Free access for American Express Platinum card members and two guests..
Eat and drink
- USCareWays Urgent Care (Terminal 4). Daily 8AM-8PM. The first full-service urgent care facility inside a U.S. airport. X-rays and vaccines available.
There are no airport hotels at Sky Harbor. However, there are a number of hotels nearby.