Buncrana is the largest town in the Inishowen Peninsula. It is situated at the gateway into the peninsula. The world-renowned "Fruit of the Loom" factory was located there up to 2005 and was one of Ireland's biggest factories, employing up to 3,000 people in its heyday. It is now closed. Buncrana is located on the shores of Lough Swilly and offers panoramic views across the lough to the Fanad Peninsula and Portsalon beach.
Take Bus Eireann, Ulsterbus Feda O Donnell (Galway route) or John McGinley Coaches (Dublin Routes) to Derry or Letterkenny, and a local bus or taxi from there. From Belfast take NIR Railways to Derry and Lough Swilly Bus or taxi from there.
From Derry : Lough Swilly Bus Co runs regular buses from early morning until about 6PM.
From Letterkenny: Lough Swilly Bus Co North West Busways
From Carndonagh/Clonmany: North West Busways Lough Swilly Bus Co
- Grianan of Aileach (just of the main Derry-Letterkenny road). This ancient ringfort is located on grainan hilltop, with spectacular views of Buncrana, Letterkenny, Derry City, Lough Swilly, and countryside as far as the eye can see.
- Dunree Fort (ten minutes drive from buncrana). This fort and military museum is on the water's edge. Guided tours available in the summertime.
- Ned's Point/Porthaw Beach. Beautiful waterside walks and an old fort, although you can't go inside the fort.
- Castle Bridge (Just 2 minutes walk from the main street). This picturesque floodlit bridge is a favourite with artists and photographers.
- Swan Park. A tranquil park, which begins at the castle bridge over the Castle Bridge. Pleasant and peaceful walkways border the banks either side of the Crana River There is a Picnic area close to the Cockhill entrance to the park. Horse can usually be seen grazing in spring and summertime.
- Public golf course. The Northwestgolfclub is located on the road into Buncrana, between it and the sea.
- Angling Club (located at castle bridge). Fishing licenses for the Crana River can be obtained for the day, week or season, for both adults and minors.
- Buncrana Leisure Centre. A 25m swimming pool with private or group swimming lessons & kids fun sessions, small gym, various instructed fitness classes (eg. step aerobics, Tae Bo, Kickboxing etc)
- Festival PlayPark, Shore Rd. Modern Playpark with excellent faciliteies.
- Wayne's World (8 mins walk from main street). Children's indoor adventure playground.
- Grant's Shoes. A beautiful, small shoe shop, brilliantly stocked with the up-to-date brands and very friendly, local employees to cater for all your feet needs.
- Identity. An attractive,small clothes shop where all the items are low in numbers and very fashionable, resulting in the ability to create funky, unique outfits to sophisticated, chic looks.
- he Drift Inn.
- Red Door, Fahan.
- Flaherty's Bar.
- Rodden's Bar, Main St. Directly opposite the Market Square, this friendly bar often has live rock, soul, or singer-songwriter music on weekend, with Trad sessions most Sundays. Open fire in winter. Decked beer garden open year-round.
- The Lake of the Shadows Hotel.
- Inishowen Gateway Hotel.
- Neds Point.