There have been signs of a settlement here since the bronze age. Is now the location of a number of major companies including divisions of Airbus and Unilever.
Buxtehude was a member of the Hanseatic League.
- 1 Buxtehude station.
Slightly faster is the Metronom train, also departing from Hamburg main station. It travels in the direction of Cuxhaven hourly and stops in Buxtehude.
- 2 Neukloster station. This is an S-Bahn stop in an annexed suburb
The size of the city is ideal for exploration on foot or by bike.
- 1 Amadeus, Lange Straße 25, ☏ . M-Th 11:30-24:00, F Sa 11:30-01:00, Su 12:00-23:00. A lot of dishes are made in a stone oven. So you get here pizza, steak and burger.
- Hase & Igel. Bakery with coffee and cakes and a variety of sandwiches. It is locally based company with three shops in the town.
- 5 Great Plains Steakhouse, Stader Straße 2, ☏ , email@example.com. Tu-F 12:00-15:00 and 17:30-22:00, Sa Su 17:30-22:00. Steakhouse. Make your salad as you wish at the salad bar and choose from their own made bread.
- 6 Fidelio - Bistro & Restaurant, Bahnhofstraße 48, ☏ . M-Tu 11:30-22:30, F Sa 11:30-24:00, Su 11:30-22:00. You can find here schnitzel, burgers, pizza and pasta.
- 7 Süße Sünde, Westfleth 45, ☏ . daily 08:30-18:00 except on holidays. Frozen Yoghurt, Waffles, Pancakes and Cakes.
- 1 Hotel Ovelgönner Hof, Hamburger Chaussee 81, ☏ .
- 2 , Harburger Str. 4, ☏ .
- 3 Hotel zur Mühle, Ritterstraße 16, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 4 Hotel am Stadtpark, Bahnhofstraße 1, ☏ , email@example.com.
Buxtehude is surrounded by the Altes Land, one of the biggest fruit growing areas with cherry and apple plantations. It's an ideal area for cycling along the Este river and admire the farm houses, that throughout the area feature thatched roofs and unique wooden entrances with intricate carvings.