Measuring 14 km (8.7 mi) long and about 5 km (3.1 mi) wide, it has an area of 39.6 km² (15.3 sq mi). The island's permanent population in 2011 was 925.
The majority of residents are employed in the fishing/aquaculture or tourism industries.
A luxurious resort hotel was built in the late 19th century, and the island became a popular summer colony for wealthy Canadians and Americans, many of whom built grand estates there. Franklin D. Roosevelt spent his summers at a family estate on Campobello from the age of one until, as an adult, he acquired a larger property — a 34-room "cottage" — which he used as a summer retreat until 1939.
Reaching mainland Canada by car without crossing an international border is possible only during the summer season and requires two separate ferry trips, the first to nearby Deer Island, then from Deer Island to L'Etete.
- Coastal Transport (Leave Route 1 at St. George, and take Route 172 to L'Etete), ☎ , toll-free: . Ferry leaves L'Etete daily hourly from 6:30AM to 10:30PM (and returns from Deer Island hourly from 6AM to 10PM). Be sure to check the schedule online. Free.
- East Coast Ferries, e-mail: email@example.com. Jun-Sep only: leaves Deer Island hourly 8:30AM-6:30PM (returns hourly 9AM-7PM) 2017 prices: car+driver $20-30, additional passengers $4; motorcycle+passenger $8; bicycle+passenger $5;.
From the United States
The island's only highway, Route 774, is connected by the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Bridge to Lubec, Maine — the easternmost town in the continental United States.
- 1 Herring Cove Provincial Park, 136 Herring Cove Rd., Welshpool, ☎ , toll-free: , e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Several unique trails of varying lengths. Hike the Carriage Road through a forest of ancient spruce, across log bridges and around a small pond, or follow an old logging road once used by the Roosevelts. Around the 1.6-km (1-mi) long beach, you will find sea urchins, a rich bog and sheer cliffs. Bald eagles, osprey and beavers are among the many species that can be observed along the trails at the park. The park has a 9-hole golf course with pro shop and a restaurant.
- Roosevelt Campobello International Park, ☎ . From Lived, Maine, Route 189 to FDR Memorial Bridge to Campobello Island. Grounds open dawn to dusk year round. Franklin D. Roosevelt's summer island home. Administered by a commission composed of members from both the United States and Canada. The park is owned, funded, and staffed by people from both countries. The Park Commission website is an important reference. Passport required.
- Edmund S. Muskie Visitor Center. Contains exhibits and a video interpreting the Roosevelt story. Saturday following Victoria Day (the Saturday prior to U.S. Memorial Day) through Canadian Thanksgiving (U.S. Columbus Day) daily 10AM-6PM ADT (9AM-5PM EDT). Canadian Thanksgiving (U.S. Columbus Day) through October 31, daily 10AM-5PM ADT (9AM-4PM EDT).
- FDR's 34-room summer home. To see what it looked like when he and his family lived there. Saturday following Victoria Day (the Saturday prior to U.S. Memorial Day) through Canadian Thanksgiving (U.S. Columbus Day) daily 10AM-6PM ADT (9AM-5PM EDT).
- Flower gardens. Walk through beautiful flower gardens.
- 2 Mulholland Point Lighthouse. Enjoy a picnic lunch at lighthouse or one of the other scenic picnic areas.
- Hike the wooded paths. And fields of the park's 2,800-acre (1,134-hectare) natural area.
- Whale watching from shore
- Fogfest. A half-week music, arts, and culture festival, held in early August and not usually fog-bound.
- Friar's Bay, ☎ , toll-free: , e-mail: CS@friarsbaymotel.com. Flat screen TV, wireless Internet, parking, lawn seating overlooking Friars Bay, ocean view. Single $89, double $99, waterfront triple $149, 5-person cottage $199/night or $799/week.
- An Island Chalet (Rob & Diane Lahey), 115 Narrows Road Welshpool (across the FDR Bridge from Lubec to the Island and take the first road directiy across from the Tourist Info Centre), ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. The upstairs loft suite includes a queen bed, with twin beds downstairs. There is a fully equipped kitchen in each unit, along with a living area with satellite TV and spectacular views. A full bath, an old-fashioned porch across the entire front. Chalets for 2-4: Jun-Sep $125-180, Oct-May $95-125.
|Routes through Campobello Island|
|Lubec ← becomes ← ←||W E||→ END|