Carp is about 10 km north of exit 144 of Highway 417 West from Ottawa. The trip takes about 40 minutes.
The small Ottawa/Carp airfield (IATA: YRP) is a popular general aviation facility just south of Carp.
There is no public transportation in the town of Carp, although due to the to town's size, walking or biking will allow you to see much of what the town has to offer.
- Diefenbunker, 3911 Carp Road, ☎ , e-mail: email@example.com. English tours at 2PM daily all year around, more on weekends and in the summer. Built at the height of the Cold War (1959-1961) as the Central Emergency Government Headquarters, this giant four-story underground bunker reinforced to stand a 5-megaton nuclear blast was designed as the site where Canada's leadership could ride out a nuclear holocaust. The name is a play on the name of the Prime Minister at the time, John Diefenbaker. Decommissioned in 1994, the site is now run by a dedicated group of volunteers working to preserve and restore it to its glory days in those paranoid days, complete with period maps showing what parts of Canada (and the US) would have faced nuclear doom in the event of World War III. Access by guided tour only (90-120 minutes), so book in advance. Bring a sweater, and no photography allowed. $14.
- Attend the Carp Fair in late September
- Carp Farmers' Market, 3790 Carp Road. Saturdays 8AM-1PM. The largest farmers' market in Eastern Ontario.
- Indulge in the delicacies at the main bakery on Donald B. Munro Dr.
"Downtown" Carp amounts to a handful of local spots. You've got your ice cream stand named "Twisty Cream", owned by local entrepreneur Helen Hood, Carp Pizza, a Chinese take-out, and a chicken and potatoes shop. There are some dining out options but your best bet is probably:
- The Swan, 108 Falldown Rd, ☎ . In 2004, two Cordon-Bleu trained chefs turned new owners brought to this traditionally styled pub a menu with international fare. An impressive drink selection awaits. Try also, one of their homemade desserts. $12-25 (not including drinks, tax, or tip).
- JD's Dining Lounge, 111 Walgreen, +1 613 831-2144
- Main Street Pub, 1408 Main St, ☎ .
(see "Eat" above)
- LCBO located in the main strip
- Cheshire Cat, 2193 Richardson Side Rd, ☎ . Traditional English pub
Ottawa is a 40 minute drive from Carp.