Jump to navigation Jump to search
Castine is a town of 1,300 people (2020) in Maine.
From U.S. Highway 1, take routes 175 and 166 south from Orland into the town.
- Dice Head Light. Daylight. An 1829 that can be seen on the bluffs at the end of Battle Ave. The lighthouse is not open to the public but the grounds are open during daylight hours.
- Fort Madison (End of Fort Madison Road, south of Perkins St.). The remains of two forts, one from the War of 1812, the other from the American Civil War.
- TV State of Maine, Town dock (Intersection of Pleasant and Water Streets). State of Maine is the training ship for the Maine Maritime Academy. It is open to visitors from July 4 until the end of August.
- Wilson Museum, 120 Perkins St, ☏ +1 207 326-9247, email@example.com. May 27 — September 30: M-F 10AM—5PM; Sa Su 2-5PM; Perkins House & Blacksmith open Jul Aug: W Su 2-5PM. The Wilson Museum features the collection of J. Howard Wilson and includes pre-historic, Native American, world cultures, geology and local history artifacts. In addition to the museum itself, the campus includes the John Perkins House, a blacksmith shop, and other exhibit/demonstration buildings. Free, with the exception of guided tours of the Perkins House.
- Witherle Woods (west of the town). Witherle Woods features walking trails on the wooded headlands just outside of town.
- [dead link] Bah's Bakehouse, 26 Water St., ☏ +1 207 326-9510, fax: +1 207 326-2061, firstname.lastname@example.org. Specializing in baked goods ranging from scones to cookies to cakes, Bah's also features a sandwich menu so you can have a meal before dessert.
- [dead link] Dennett's Wharf Restaurant & Oyster Bar, 15 Sea St, ☏ +1 207 326-9045, email@example.com. True to its Maine heritage, Dennett's features a large selection of seafood, including lobsters up to 4 lbs (1.8 kg). For the non-seafood types, they also have steak and chicken entrees.
- [dead link] Dennett's Wharf Restaurant & Oyster Bar, 15 Sea St, ☏ +1 207 326-9045, firstname.lastname@example.org. In addition to their seafood, Dennett's offers a selection of Maine microbrews and a decent wine list.
- Stellas, 26 Water St, ☏ +1 207 326-9710.
- Castine Inn, 33 Main St., ☏ +1 207 326-4365, fax: +1 207 326-4570, Relax@CastineInn.com. Built in 1889, this inn features 17 rooms with private baths. Continental breakfast. $95-265.
- Pentagöet Inn, 26 Main St., ☏ +1 207 326-8616, email@example.com. This 16-room inn is built in an 1894 building. The inn is open from May through October. All rooms include a full country breakfast, afternoon snack, bicycles, and wi-fi access. Dinner is available for an additional fee. $115-245.
- Maine Maritime Academy, Pleasant St, toll-free: +1-800-464-6565 (in state), +1-800-227-8465 (out of state).
For fire and medical emergencies in Castine, dial 911 toll-free from any phone.
For law enforcement emergencies in Castine, call the Sheriff's Department at Template:Phone-.