Castletownshend is a village on Ireland's southwest coast in County Cork.The nearest town is Skibereen, a ten minute drive away. It consists largely of one long, very steep! street which leads to a small pier. Popular with sailors it is welcoming for all tourists. A pleasant relaxing day or half-day could be spent here. The main attraction would be St. Barrahane's church located at the bottom of the village which is surrounded by a small graveyard. An oar from the Lusitania can be found displayed on the wall of the church. The village is also popular with seafood lovers. The only shop in is towards the top of the village (newspapers, milk, bread, assorted groceries, postcards etc). The village is busy during the summer months and is popular with English families. Sailing races are regularly held during the summer months. "The Castle" as it is known locally is located next to the church and accommodation is available there. Other guesthouses also operate. N.B. During winter some businesses may close or restrict opening hours.
By car is best. Walking from Skibereen is not recommended due to the narrow, busy road. Cycling is possible (either leave bikes at top of village or prepare to walk back up).
Anchorages are available for yachts.
- St. Barrahane's Church. The church is most famous for its stained glass windows, a number of which were made by Harry Clarke in the 1920s; one of the greatest stained glass artists of modern times. The Harry Clarke windows are recognisable by their elongated art nouveau figures and the extraordinary use of colour. These are worth a special trip. Pier. Sea views. The 'two trees' in the middle of the road.
- The Warren Gallery (at Mary Anne's). Sells paintings.
- Mary Anne's. Best pub/restaurant in the local area and well frequented by tourists and locals alike. Great food, great staff, great drink, a good night out but make sure to book.
- Gallagher's bar and restaurant (at the top of the village). Also recommended. Seafood, steaks etc.
- Mary Anns, Main St (bottom of village on right). Pub restaurant and beer garden.
- The Castle, ☏ .