Cavendish is a small agricultural settlement surrounded by sheep farms. The village has four churches, a memorial hall, a brew pub, a cafe-general store, a recreation park, a primary school and kindergarten (2022).
Cavendish is 26 km (16 mi) N of Hamilton in the Shire of Southern Grampians by motorcar.
There is no train; a line from Hamilton to Horsham (which reached Cavendish in 1915) was removed in 1975.
Watch the sheep grazing. There's lots of sheep in Cavendish.
- Settlers Walk. Riverside trail with 8 picnic table areas, several board walks, 2 footbridges and brief local history stories on plaques affixed to volcanic rocks situated along the river.
- Cavendish Cafe- General Store, 7 Scott St, ☏ .
- Bridge Café, 7 Scott St, ☏ . Food, drinks, bait, ice.
- Cavendish Café, at general store. Claims to make the biggest hamburger in Australia, at 4 kilograms (8.8 lb) and $39 (refundable if anyone can finish the meal in an hour).
- Bunyip Brewery, 25 Scott St, ☏ , email@example.com. Th–Sa 5:30-9PM, restaurant Sa–Su noon-2PM. Brew pub and restaurant. (Closed Tu-W)
- Cavendish Recreation Reserve Campground & Caravan Park, Cadden Street, ☏ .
- South Mokanger Farm Cottages, 728 Mokanger Rd, ☏ . Two pet-friendly cottages on a historic farm at the southern edge of Grampians National Park.
There is a post office in the village.