Cayo district is the central inland region of Belize. It is the largest district in Belize.
- 1 San Ignacio - district capital
- 2 Belmopan - national capital
- 3 Benque Viejo del Carmen - Hispanic town, near Guatemalan border and Xunantunich ruins
- 4 Bullet Tree Falls - village on the road to El Pilar Mayan ruins
- 5 Roaring Creek - multicultural village
- 6 San Antonio Cayo - ethnic Mayan village
- 7 Spanish Lookout - German-speaking Mennonite community
- 1 Actun Tunichil Muknal - Mayan burial site
- 2 Blue Hole National Park
- 3 Cahal Pech - Mayan ruins
- 4 Caracol - Mayan ruins
- 5 Five Blues Lake National Park
- Gunivista - park
- 6 Mountain Pine Ridge
- 7 Xunantunich - Mayan ruins
As with the rest of Belize, English is the official language, but as Cayo is the main entry-exit point for Guatemala you should expect a higher proportion of Spanish speakers here.
The George Price Highway (previously called the Western Highway) cuts through the middle of Cayo, running from the Guatemalan border in the west all the way to Belize City in the east, via Belmopan. The Hummingbird Highway links Belmopan with Dangriga in Stann Creek.
Cayo is mostly about the jungle experience, but there are also historical and cultural attractions. Visit Mayan ruins at Cahal Pech, Xunantunich, or Caracol. Go caving. Experience the rainforest, watching birds, mammals and insects, at one of the many lodges. Tube down the rivers. See the canopy on a zip line tour. Go horseback riding on a jungle trail. Go to the Saturday market in San Ignacio.
- Belize Botanic Gardens, 9 miles outside of San Ignacio (Follow the western highway towards guatemala. About 4 miles down there is a sign on the right hand side, turn at this sign and follow the dirt road for 4 miles until you arrive.), ☏ . 7AM-4PM. Belize Botanic Garden's is Belize's only botanic gardens. It is home to a large collection of native orchids, palms, medicinal plants, etc. There is a shuttle which leaves San Ignacio at 8AM and returns at 1PM and 4PM. For more information call 501-804-4500 or 501-824-3101. US$5.
- 1 The Orange Gallery, Mile 60 Western Highway (From Belmopan: Follow the Western Highway towards San Ignacio for about 14 miles, the place sits on the right side of the road with several large well-marked signs. From San Ignacio: Follow the Western Highway towards Belmopan for about 12 miles, the place sits on the left side of the road with several well-marked signs.), ☏ , email@example.com. 7:30AM-5PM. The Orange Gallery is the largest gift-shop and local-art gallery in Belize, they have an incredible collection of jewelry, woodwork, ceramics, textiles, paintings, carvings and other things. There is also a restaurant and bar back behind the gift-shop where you can get free WiFi.