Château-d'Œx is a small village of approximately 3,500 inhabitants in the French-speaking part of Switzerland. Château-d'Œx has become popular among travelers primarily for the village's incredibly authentic Swiss alpine feel, stunning natural surroundings, and quiet atmosphere.
The 1 station of Château-d'Œx has hourly trains to Montreux (1 hr) and Zweisimmen (50 min) via Gstaad (30 min) in the Bernese Highlands. The trip will take a bit longer if you take a regional slow train. The train is operated by GoldenPass Montreux-Bernese Oberland (MOB) Railway. Some of the connections are panorama trains or old style 'classic' trains which do not cost extra and are part of the regular timetable.
There is a bus to Col-des-Mosse from where it is possible to join Aigle via another bus to Le Sépey and a train to Aigle, however it is much easier and faster to take the longer route via train passing through Montreux.
Château-d'Œx is approximately a 2-hour drive from Geneva and a 1-hour and 15-minute drive to Bern. While not directly accessible by a motorway, driving into Château-d'Œx is not difficult. It can be accessed from three directions. The main road comes in from Spiez (with access to the A6 motorway) and Zweisimmen in the Bernese Highlands and goes on to Aigle (with access to the A9 motorway) near the border to Valais. Another smaller road leads into the canton of Fribourg, to Gruyères and Bulle, where you can join the A12 motorway.
Château-d'Œx is small enough that walking is the easiest and most efficient method of transportation to get anywhere in the village. Château-d'Œx is hilly, however, so any walk may involve a steep hike at one point or another.
- 1 Museum of the Pays-d’Enhaut, Grand Rue 107, ☏ . Tu-Su 14:00-17:00, closed in November. Has permanent exhibits on the life in the village in past times, but also on local art, notably paintings and paper cuts. Fr. 8/4.
- 2 Balloon Museum, Chemin des Ballons 2, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Su 14:00-17:00. This museum showcases the history of hot-air balloons. A highlight is the capsule Breitling Orbiter used by Bertrand Piccard to circumnavigate the globe in 1999. Fr. 8/5.
- 1 Hot-air balloon flights (Ballon Château d'Œx), ☏ , email@example.com. See the Alps from a new perspective - from the basket of a hot-air balloon! Available year-round, weather permitting. Fr. 390/195.
- Paraglide. There are numerous take-off points and numerous pilots in the area, allowing you to ride the winds no matter their direction.
- Horseback Riding. Numerous bridle paths wind between Rougemont through Château dŒx to Rossinière.
- Climbing wall. Meet at the Les Moulins to take a climb rain or shine. Tel 924 56 53.
- 2 Bowling., Parc des Sports, ☏ . Head to Bowling du Parc for a good time on the lanes. The centre also offers tennis and ice skating. Fr. 8/7.
- Hiking. With over 300 km of marked paths, this regions offers some great opportunities to experience the great outdoors. A walking map with 15 suggested itineraries, labelled with length and difficult, is available around town.
- Hydrospeed. A wild adventure on the river Sarine. Strap on your flippers and float down the river with your head bobbing on the water's surface.
- Canyoning. Suited into an isothermal outfit, you can walk and swim into some of the wildest gorges in the region.
- Canoe or kayak. Paddle around on the lake.
- Biking. Marked mountain biking tracks can be found all around the region.
- Swim. The heated, olympic sized swimming pool at au Berceau is open from mid-May to early September.
- Ski. There are plenty of opportunities for downhill and cross country skiing, even tobogganing.
- 1 Le Chalet, Route de la gare 2, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Sa-Th 08:30–18:00, F 08:30–00:00. Local cuisine in an old house. Has a cheese-making demonstration on some days from 10:30–12:30.
- Irish Tavern, ☏ . An Irish pub that lets people enjoy the nice atmosphere and drinks.
- le Poulailler, ☏ . Cabaret.
- La Bamba, ☏ . Discotheque.
- Le Zenith. A performing stage that includes a bar in the building.
Château-d'Œx has various hotels and traditional Swiss châlets for rent.
- 1 Camping - Au Berceau, Route des Mosses 18, ☏ , fax: .
- 2 Youth hostel (Auberge de Jeunesse), Route des Monnaires 67, ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. €20 - 27, Fr. 29-40.
- 3 Chalet Perce-Neige, 1660 Château d'Oex, ☏ . €26 - 43, Fr. 39-65.
- 4 Restoski, Route des Mosses 104, 1660 La Lécherette, ☏ , fax: . €27 - 53, Fr. 40-80.
- 5 Hotel Beau-Sejour, 1660 Château d'Oex, ☏ , fax: . A 2-star hotel. €30 - 100, Fr. 45-150.
- 6 Pension le Vieux Chalet, Route de la Frasse 57, 1660 Château d'Oex, ☏ , fax: . €33 - 73, Fr. 50-110.
- 7 Hotel Valrose, Place de la Gare, Rougemont, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. A 3-star hotel. €40 - 100, Fr. 65-150.
- 8 Hotel de Commune, 1659 Rougemont, ☏ , fax: . A 3-star hotel. €53 - 120, Fr. 80-180.
- 9 Hotel de Ville, Grand-Rue 70, 1660 Château d'Oex, ☏ , fax: . A 3-star hotel. €57 - 107, Fr. 80-160.
- 10 Hotel-Lodge Roc et Neige, Route des Monnaires 46, 1660 Château d'Oex, ☏ , fax: . A 3-star hotel. €59 - 166, Fr. 85-240.
- 11 Hotel Rougemont, 1659 Rougemont, ☏ , fax: . A 4-star hotel. €65 - 193, Fr. 100-280.
- 12 [formerly dead link] Gourmet-Hotel Ermitage, 1660 Château d'Oex, ☏ , fax: . A 3-star hotel. €66 - 207, Fr. 100-310.
- 13 Hotel Elite, 1658 Rossinière, ☏ , fax: . A 2-star hotel. €80, Fr. 120.
- Cabane des Choucas, 1635 meters, tel +41 26 924 79 40.
- Cabane de Ratevel, 1413 meters, tel +41 26 924 78 20.
- Cabane de la Sarouche, 1569 meters, tel +41 26 924 61 40.
- Cabane de la Videmanette, 2120 meters, tel +41 26 924 64 65.
- Les Monts-Chevreuils, 1667 meters, tel +41 26 924 58 61.