Regional Unit of Chania (Greek: Περιφερειακή ενότητα Χανίων) is a region on the island of Crete. It has a population of 156,585 (2011).
- 1 Chania (Χανιά, Haniá) — largest city of the western region
- 2 Agia Roumeli (Αγιά Ρουμέλη) — small coastal town at the end of the Samaria gorge
- 3 Drapanias (Δραπανιάς) — the principal town in the Cretan municipality of Mythimna; it was built in the ruins of the ancient town of Mythimna
- 4 Hora Sfakion (Χώρα Σφακίων or Σφακιά, Sfakia) — tiny capital in the southwest with white houses and the ferry to and from the Samaria Gorge
- 5 Kissamos (Κίσσαμος) — not big on tourism and most of its income is from wine, oil, and agricultural production
- 6 Omalos (Ομαλός) — a high plateau notable for being at the top of the Samaria gorge
- 7 Paleochora (Παλαιόχωρα or Παλιόχωρα) — small resort village on southwest coast
- 1 Elafonisi (Ελαφονήσι) — a wonderful, but very crowded islet located close to the southwestern corner of Crete
- 2 Gavdos (Γαύδος) — the southernmost point of Europe
- 3 Samariá Gorge (Φαράγγι Σαμαριάς or just Φάραγγας) — A most visited gorge running from the Omalos plateau to Agia Roumeli on the Libyan Sea.
Ferry services from Athens (Piraeus port) to Chania (Hania) Crete island. Schedules here.
You have two options for ferry travel to Chania - overnight cruise (approx. 9 hours) from Piraeus on ANEK Lines; or 4.5 hour daytime high-speed ferry from Piraeus on Hellenic Seaways.
- 4 Chania airport. This airport is much smaller and far less busy than Heraklion airport. However, short (40-50 minute) flights are available from Athens. In the high season you can find charter-flights from many European cities.
Walk: Crete is a very safe and tourist friendly island.
The cheapest option would be to take the bus (which is also very safe). Besides that, renting a car or using taxis..
- 1 Chrysoskalitissa Monastery (Located along the cliff top overlooking the southwestern coast.).
- 2 German War Cemetery (Germaniko Nekrotafio) (15th km old national road Chania- Kissamos). — one of the two German military cemeteries in Greece. Most of the soldiers buried here lost their lives on Crete.
- 3 Olive tree of Vouves. One of the oldest olive trees in the world, still producing olives. Estimated to be 2000-4000 years old.
Explore... The Chania's harbour area is beautiful and the lighthouse is incredible. The Maritime museum is also a great visit. The Old Town is full of all types of shops, pubs, and restaurants that are aimed at tourists. Crete is full of a number of beautiful beaches and breath taking views. For wine enthusiasts, Nostos Winery is a 20-minute drive from the centre and is a beautiful winery that offers incredible tastings.
Go where the locals go...
However, if you are looking for a cheap and quick meal you can find gyros all over town.
A must in Crete is Raki. Be careful... it packs a punch. Additionally, many local bars and restaurants give out free shots or drinks to all costumers.
You can expect plenty of choices concerning beach and city hotels in the region of Chania.
You can walk to the bus terminal easily from the harbor or main market square - 5 to 10 minutes.