Chios is a region of Greece, an island in the Aegean Sea 5 miles off the Turkish coasts.
The population is about 54,000 (2019), with an area of 904 km². Chios or Chora; it is a port and the island's chief town. The island is famous for its scenery and good climate. Its chief export is mastic but it also produces olives, figs, and wine. Its international fame is based on the size and quality of its shipping community.
- 1 Chios — the main city of the island and its administrative center with a well-preserved Genoese castle.
- 2 Emporios — a tiny seaside village, well known for the nearby stretches of black pebbles of 'Mavra Volia', one of the most popular beaches in Chios.
- 3 Kardamyla — traditional village at the north of the island.
- 4 Mesta — village at the south of the island with strong medieval character, with stone houses closely related, making the village look like a castle.
- 5 Pyrgi — village whose houses have black and white decoration at the exterior.
- 6 Vrondados — village atop a hill overlooking pebbled beaches.
- 1 Oinouses
- 2 Psara
- 3 Kambos — A distinctive area just south of the main town and away from mass tourist, with some interesting country estates still owned by Genoese noblemen and transformed into hotels with unique atmosphere.
- Thymiana [dead link] - A worth to be visited village some 7 km south of Chios town.
Seasonal flights that operate from May till October:
- Aegean Airlines from Athens
- Scandanavian Airlines from Oslo
- Transavia from Amsterdam Holland: twice a week
You can take the boat from Athens (Piraeus) once a day (twice a day in the summer) from Hellenic Seaways or Kavala (operational only in the summer). There is also regular trips from Samos and Lesvos all year round.
Çeşme on Turkish mainland just opposite Chios also has ferry connections with the island. The all year round service costing €23 one-way pp (or €25 return) departs at 09:30 from Çeşme and takes roughly 30 min. Those doing the trip to island as a day trip can take the return ferry to Turkey departing at 17:00 (except Sundays, on which it departs at 16:00) from Chios.
You can bring a car using the boats, or you can rent one there. Chios is a big island and if you want to get around (out of the place where you are staying you have to have wheels) you better rent a car or motorbike. Renting a bicycle is also an option if you are not traveling big distances.
- 1 Nea Moni — a UNESCO World Heritage listed monastery
- 2 — a byzantine village monument with tower-like houses.
- Mastiha Museum, Θέση Ράχη (Τεπέκι) 82 102, ☏ . An emblematic museum dedicated to Mastiha (mastic), a unique product coming from the mastic plant Pistacia lentiscus var. Chia.
- Maritime Museum of Chios, 20, St. Tsouri Street, ☏ . 10:00-14:00 except Sundays. A private museum that was established in order to maintain, present and preserve the long maritime tradition of the island.
- Chios Cooking Lessons [dead link] If you are interested in Chios cuisine, if you want to go deeper into Greek food or you are just in love with cooking, you are invited to join special gatherings, the Chios cooking lessons. An alternative activity to explore Chios and Greek culture, to unveil Chios secrets like a local. You will make, taste and enjoy traditional Greek recipes and prepare delicious dishes.
- To Mestousiko, Mesta, Chios (East of the main square), ☏ . Daily 10:00 to 23:00 (or later). Small grill with outdoor seating, run by George and Marina Pannadi year-round. The menu has grilled sandwiches, souvlaki, and Greek (horiatiki) salads. Located a block from the town square directly behind the new church of Taxiarchis (Archangels). To reach the restaurant, walk to the right and turn into the first alley. When you see the church, turn right. in expensive.
- Amarandos Apartments, Vokaria, Nenita, ☏ . Check-in: 14:00, check-out: 12:00. Sea view apartments 15 m from the beach with amazing view of the Aegean and the Asia Minor. Hiden from the noise and mass tourism, ideal for relaxing. €50-100.
- Haus Fay Chios, Emporios, Chios, ☏ . Check-in: 12:00, check-out: 12:00. Haus Fay is a family hotel of studios and apartments renovated to satisfy the needs of every visitor. Overlooking the Aegean, in Notiochora of Chios, just a few minutes walk from Mavra Volia and Foki. Located in the central square in the harbor of Emporios next to restaurants which serve Greek specialties and fresh fish. 50-100.