Clacton is in Essex.
Exit the A12 at the Colchester North exit onto the A120, and then the A133 all the way into Clacton.
- 1 Railway Station, Skelmersdale Rd, Clacton-on-Sea, CO15 6PU. Trains run to Clacton every hour from London Liverpool Street and take approximately 90 minutes. If travelling from the Ipswich direction, change trains at Colchester North.
Buses serve Clacton from most parts of North-East Essex, including Colchester (every 30 minutes, approx. 1 hour journey time), Walton and Frinton (every 30 minutes, approx. 30 minutes journey time) and Harwich (every hour, approx. 45 minutes journey time). There are also 3 National Express coaches per day to London (#484, approx. 3 hours journey time) and 1 National Express coach per day to Liverpool, via Cambridge, Nottingham, Sheffield, Manchester etc. (#350, approx journey time 12 hours to Liverpool). As there is no distinct bus station, finding the correct stop within the town centre can be a problem, mainly because of a lack of any maps, and the digital displays at each stop only show departures for that street. If in doubt, walk out to the train station as most routes pass here.
National Cycle Route 150 runs along the coast from Frinton-on-Sea & Walton to the NE to Jawick (just past the golf club) to SW.
The main town centre is fairly compact and can easily be covered on foot.
Clacton is a fairly driver-friendly town with cheap, plentiful parking, although during the summer holidays or the Clacton Air Show, parking and traffic can be problematic.
The two main operators of suburban routes are First Essex and Hedingham Omnibuses. The former operates a handful of suburban routes at half-hourly intervals, one of which serves the out-of-town Tesco hypermarket. The latter operates regular shuttle services to the Clacton Common Shopping Village.
- 1 Clacton-on-Sea. 360 m pier opening in 1871. Now has amusement park with rides.
- 2 Great Holland Pits (Nature Reserve), Little Clacton Rd, Great Holland (OS Grid ref TM 204 190), ☎ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Best time to visit Apr-Jul
- 3 Jaywick Martello Tower. arts, heritage and community venue in a renovated Martello tower
- 1 Push Kiting (Kite Surfing School), ☎ , ✉ email@example.com. M-F 08:00-21:30. Sa Su 08:00-17:00.. Kite surfing, kite buggy, kite landboarding, power kite, paddleboard. M-F taster (2hr) £50. Sa Su taster (2hr) £60. M-F ½ day course £50. Sa Su ½ day course £70..
- 2 Clacton Pier (Tenpin bowling, Bar, Rides, Seaquarium,), 1 North Sea, Clacton-on-Sea, CO15 1QX, ☎ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 3 The Beach, CO15 6JS (OS Grid ref TM 1760 1445). Seasonal lifeguard.
- 4 Weeley Hall Wood (Nature Reserve) (Off the B1441 (Colchester to Clacton Rd) Weeley, Essex. OS Grid ref TM 156 212), ☎ , ✉ email@example.com. Best time to visit Apr-Jul & Nov-Feb. Dogs allowed.
The town centre areas feature the usual high-street shops (Argos, WHSmith, Marks & Spencer etc.), as well as plenty of seaside tourist shops. There are several decent sized supermarkets including Fiveways, Morrisons, Lidl and Tesco, the latter of which is quite a way out of town but can be reached by local bus.
The Clacton Common Shopping Village, located on an industrial estate on the edge of town, is one of two 'factory outlet' shopping malls in Essex (the other being Freeport, near Braintree). It mostly consists of numerous stores selling discontinued clothing lines at discount prices.
- 1 Sainsbury's (Supermarket), 39 High St, Clacton-On-Sea, CO15 1NU, ☎ . M-Sa 08:00-20:00.Su 10:00-16:00. ATMs
- 2 Lidl (Supermarket), St Osyth Rd, Clacton-on-Sea, CO15 3BN. M-Sa 08:00-22:00. Su 10:00-16:00.
- 3 Retail Park, Old Rd, Clacton-on-Sea, CO15 1HX Morrisons (Supermarket), ☎ . M-Sa 07:00-22:00. Su 10:00-16:00. ATMs.
- 1 Armstrongs at the Pavilion (Restaurant), Pier Gap, Marine Parade East, Clacton On Sea, CO15 1PS, ☎ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2 Franco's (Italian Restaurant), 4 Colne Rd, Clacton On Sea, CO15 1PX, ☎ . W-Sa 12:00-13:45 (last orders) & 18:00-22:00 (last orders).
- 3 Aroy (Thai Restaurant & Take-away), 19 Rosemary Rd, Clacton-On-Sea, CO15 1NZ, ☎ . M-Th 17:00-21:30. F-Sa 17:00-22:00. Su17:00-21:30.
- 4 Toby Cavery, Marine Parade West, Martello Bay, Clacton-On-Sea, CO15 1NW, ☎ . Daily 08:00-23:00; Food: 08:00-22:00.
- 1 Cup of Coffee (Cafe & Take Away), 82 Rosemary Rd, Clacton-on-Sea, CO15 1TG, ☎ . M-Sa 08:00-17:00. Su 09:00-16:00.
- 2 The Moon & Star Fish (Pub & Food), 1 Marine Parade East, Clacton-on-Sea, CO15 1PU, ☎ . M-Th 08:00-23:30, F Sa 08:00-01:00. Su 08:00-23:30. Free Wi-Fi.
- 3 The Robert Burre (Pub & Food), Burres Rd, Great Clacton, CO15 4LN, ☎ , ✉ email@example.com. Su-Th 11:00-23:00. F-Sa 12:00-00:00. Large carpark opposite pub. Wi-Fi.
- 4 The Flamingo (Bar & Restaurant), Kings Parade, Holland-on-sea, CO15 5JD, ☎ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Th 11:00-14:30. F Sa 11:00-14:30 & 18:30-21:00. Su 11:00-14:30.
- 1 Esplanade (Hotel), 27-29 Marine Parade East, Clacton on Sea, CO15 1UU, ☎ .
- 2 Lyndale Lodge Hotel, 2-4 Colne Rd, Clacton-on-Sea, CO15 1PX, ☎ , ✉ email@example.com. Free Wi-Fi. Free parking. No pets.
- 3 Melrose Hotel, 53 Marine Parade, Clacton-on-Sea, CO15 6AD,, ☎ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Free Wi-Fi (in public areas). Free on-site parking.
- 4 Ocean Hotel, 5 Marine Pde East, Clacton-on-Sea, CO15 1PT, ☎ . Single £40, Double/twin £70-£85 (per night).
- 5 Stonar Guest House, 19 Agate Rd, Clacton-on-Sea, CO15 1RA, ☎ , ✉ email@example.com.
- 6 The Sandrock (B&B), 1 Penfold Rd, Clacton-On-Sea, CO15 1JN (OS Grid ref TM 174 145), ☎ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Free parking. Free Wi-Fi. Single £55, Double/twin £69 (per night).
- 7 Premier Travel Inn, Marine Parade West, Clacton-On-Sea, CO15 1RD, ☎ (premium). Free Wi-Fi. On-site parking £2. from £46.
- 8 The Beaches (B&B), 12-14 Ellis Rd, Clacton On Sea, CO15 1ER, ☎ , ✉ email@example.com. Check-in: 14:00-22:00, check-out: by 10:00. Free Wi-Fi. No pets.
- 1 Post Office, High St, Clacton On Sea, CO15 1NP. M 09:00-17:30, Tu 09:30-17:30, W-F 09:00-17:30, Sa 09:00-12:30.
General precautions and common sense apply, avoid anywhere that looks rough and try to avoid walking the streets at night. Jaywick to the west of Clacton is extremely impoverished and rundown (especially the Brooklands area), commercial areas and the beaches are safe, but wandering around residential streets is ill advised.