Clearwater has a thriving tourism sector with the main attraction being Wells Gray Provincial Park. The park encompasses 522,000 hectares, with five major lakes, two large river systems, numerous spectacular waterfalls and countless prominent topographical features. Wells Gray is known worldwide for its incredible mountain scenery and hiking trails. One of the most spectacular views is Helmcken Falls, which plunges 141 meters down a narrow canyon.
Yellowhead Helicopters Ltd. is a privately-owned company providing commercial helicopter services to the public, industry and government.
The Yellowhead #5 highway passes through Clearwater. The Yellowhead #5 highway heads north from Clearwater to Jasper and Edmonton and south to Kamloops (about 1 hr 15 min by car).
There is no bus service to Clearwater as of Nov 2019.
- Via Rail, CN station, on south side of North Thompson River, across river from town, 2 km south of Yellowhead Highway 5, toll-free: . 3 trains a week en route between Vancouver and Edmonton. This is a signpost stop -- there are no services at the stop.
- Wells Gray Taxi
- Clearwater & Area Transit System (Community Bus)
- Wells Gray Park has something to offer everyone with lush alpine meadows, excellent birding and wildlife viewing opportunities, hiking for every ability, boating, fishing, canoeing, kayaking, and more.
- Wells Gray Air Services Ltd. offers impressive flight over mountains, lakes, creeks and waterfalls within Wells Gray Park north of Clearwater.
- Visit Wells Gray Provincial Park - The park encompasses 522,000 hectares, with five major lakes, two large river systems, numerous spectacular waterfalls and countless prominent topographical features. Wells Gray is known worldwide for its incredible mountain scenery and hiking trails. One of the most spectacular views is Helmcken Falls, which plunges 141 meters down a narrow canyon.
- The many hiking trails, varying in skill level from very easy to extremely challenging, provide a healthy means for enjoying the abundant scenery and wildlife which populate the North Thompson Valley. Enjoy a short hike into one of the many waterfalls in the area or plan for a longer hike into the more remote locations.
- Fishing is a popular activity in Clearwater, with many remote lakes in the area to test angling skills. Licenced guides are available.
- If you prefer to enjoy the scenery from the water there is an abundance of lakes for canoeing.
- A whitewater rafting tour down the Clearwater River is a must try. Three companies offer rafting services, each offering similar prices and tours. Of the three, Riverside Adventures tends to garner more positive reviews for its service and impeccable safety record.
- Clearwater Travel Information Centre at 425 East Yellowhead Highway operates a gift shop and provides local history.
- Watauga Village at 734 Clearwater Village Road has different kinds of gift stores including an art gallery inside Mei Mei's Cafe.
- Hop 'n' Hog Tap & Smokehouse, 444 Clearwater Valley Rd., Clearwater, BC, ☏ . 11AM–3PM, 5PM–close. Serves barbecue, fish, home-made bread, coffee
- Strawberry Moose Snackery, 415 Eden Rd, Clearwater, BC (across from the information centre), ☏ . M–F 5AM–4PM, Sa 8AM–4PM. Serves coffee, specialty ice cream, and fresh baked goods.
- Double Dragon Restaurant, 125 Clearwater Station, Clearwater, BC, ☏ . Daily 11AM–9PM. Serves Chinese food
The legal drinking age in British Columbia is 19.
- Wells Gray Bar & Grill at 228 E. Yellowhead Hwy offers a variety of entertainment.
- Mei Mei's Art Cafe at 734 Clearwater Village Road offers all kinds of shakes, organic coffee, loose tea and is licensed. This cafe has a patio with mountain views which made it a great place to have a drink in the afternoon or evening.
- The Clearwater Lodge at 331 Eden Road offers modern rooms,
queen sized beds, fully equipped kitchenettes, cable TV, air conditioning, direct dial phones, balconies, scenic views, and laptop hookups. This is the only motel that has an indoor pool in the community.
- Mystic Mountain Acres B&B at 1030 Bo Hill Place has three attractively decorated rooms. All rooms have a queen bed and private bathroom. If you want peace and quiet this is the place to stay with no interruptions.
- 'Watauga Village B&B- at 734 Clearwater Village Road. All cabins are kitchenettes which make it handy to prepare some or all of your meals. Located on the property is a cafe, art gallery and stores.
There are other hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts, chalets, cabins, guest houses, and camp grounds within the community.
- Clearwater Valley Resort & KOA Kampground, 373 Clearwater Valley Road (Across from info centre), toll-free: . Modern rooms and smaller bungalows all with 1 or two queen beds. Family rooms also available with kitchenettes. Outdoor swimming pool and mini-golf.
By plane - Yellowhead Helicopters Ltd. is a privately-owned company providing commercial helicopter services to the public, industry and government.
By car - The Yellowhead #5 highway passes through Clearwater.
The Yellowhead #5 highway heads north from Clearwater to Jasper and Edmonton and South to Kamloops (Approx 1.25 hrs by car).
|Routes through Clearwater|
|Vancouver ← Kamloops ←||W E||→ Valemount → Edmonton|
|Hope ← Kamloops ←||S N||→ Valemount → Jasper via|