Valemount is a village of about 1,000 people (2016) in the Robson Valley region of Northern British Columbia. At the meeting point of three mountain ranges, it has a number of outdoor activities and is a good base for exploring nearby Mount Robson Provincial Park.
Valemount was a small settlement until it was incorporated as a village in 1962. Through the following decades, the village's population grew or declined in line with the fortunes of the local lumber industry and the village's sawmill. Since the 1990s, tourism has become more important in the local economy.
Many artists, artisans and authors make Valemount their home.
Via Rail's The Canadian passes through Valemount en route to Vancouver heading west, and Jasper, Edmonton and eventually Toronto to the east. Service is three times a week May to mid-Oct and twice a week otherwise. Note this is a signpost stop — there are no services at the stop.
- 1 Valemount train station, 1200 Main St (Main & Dogwood), ☏ .
- 1 Valemount Museum and Archive, 1090B Main St (behind the library at the corner of Martin & Juniper St), ☏ . Open daily 10AM-6PM July & Aug, 10AM-5PM Tu-Sa mid-May through June & Sept. A heritage train station turned into a museum about local history including Valemount pioneers and war heroes, plus displays on railroad towns and the Japanese internment camps. $3 adult, $2 child. Cash only.
- 1 Valemount Bike Park, Hillside Dr and 5 Mile Rd (main staging area is 1 km down Hillside Dr from Hillside & Main St intersection). A mix of beginner, intermediate and advanced trails with some jumps and wooden features.
- 2 Cranberry Marsh (Starratt Wildlife Sanctuary), access from the Best Western parking lot or the end of Ash St. A marshy area and wildlife sanctuary with a fairly flat 6 km loop trail. In summer it’s popular for birdwatching or just taking a stroll. In winter you can bring the cross-country skis or snowshoes.
- Valemount IGA, 1195 5 Ave, ☏ . Daily 8AM-8PM. Grocery store.
- 1 Caribou Grill, 1002 5 Ave, ☏ . Su-Th 4:30PM-9PM, F Sa 4:30PM-10PM. Steak and prime rib served in log building and country-style decor. The menu also includes pasta, salmon, chicken, some vegetarian options and a small kids menu. $15-40.
- 2 Valemount Swiss Bakery, 1020 Main St, ☏ . Tu-Sa 9AM-3PM. Bakery with sweet and savoury croissants, swirls, sausage rolls, strudel, muffins and a variety of artisan breads. Baked goods $2-5, breads $5+.
- Three Ranges Brewing Company, 1160 5th Avenue, ☏ . W-Sa 3-8 PM for taproom operations and off-sale. The local craft brewery makes a wide range of beers.
- 1 Chalet Continental Motel, 1450 5 Ave, ☏ , toll-free: . Check-in: 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Rooms include free Wifi, mini-fridge and microwave. Some rooms have kitchenettes or balconies. Premises include BBQ area, hot tub and sauna. $160+ July/Aug, $90+ at other times.
- 2 Valemount Vacation Inn, 1495 6th Ave (6th & Karas), ☏ , toll-free: . Motel rooms with one to four beds, and free Wifi, fridge and microwave. Some rooms have a partial kitchenette. There's also an indoor hot tub, sauna and restaurant onsite. $150-300.
The village has a weekly newspaper, The Rocky Mountain Goat News.
|Routes through Valemount|
|Vancouver ← Clearwater ←||W E||→ Jasper → Edmonton|
|Kamloops ← Clearwater ←||S N||→ Tete Jaune Cache → Jasper via|