North America > United States of America > Midwest > Illinois > Central Illinois > Iroquois County
- 1 Gilman on Interstate 57
- 2 Clifton
- 3 Chebanse —
- 4 Ashkum — laid out in 1856, it was home to 760 people in 2010. It is an agricultural area, and the main products are corn and soybeans
- 5 Milford, which has a Carnegie library
- 6 Watseka,
- 1 Gilman station. Gilman has an Amtrak intercity train station on the twice daily Illini and Saluki route.
Interstate 57 passes through the west part of the county on its route between Champaign and Chicago. From north to south, it passes through or near Chebanse, Clifton, Ashkum, Danforth, Gilman, Onarga, Buckley, and Loda.
The county is bisected by the east–west U.S. Route 24, which passes through Gilman, Crescent City, the county seat of Watseka, and Sheldon.
- 2 Iroquois County Museum, Cherry St. at 2nd St., Watseka, ☏ . M-F 10AM-4PM, by appointment only. The Iroquois County courthouse from 1866 until 1964 is now home of the county's genealogical records library and includes collections of minerals and fossils, Native American artifacts, antique dolls, and numerous other historical items.
- 1 Iroquois County State Wildlife Area, 2803 E. 3300 N. Rd., Beaverville (nearest exit on a limited-access highway is Exit 302 on Interstate 57 in Chebanse), ☏ . A 2,400-acre (970 ha) state park in the northeast corner of the county. It is a mosaic of sand dunes and wet prairie habitats. The juxtaposition of the sand and wetland has created a rolling savanna landscape of trees and grass, classified as an oak barren. The dominant oak tree is the black oak, often found on relatively infertile, sandy ground. The black-oak savanna is one of the largest native grassland remnants in Illinois. Prairie forbs include the blazing star and hairy puccoon.
- 2 Centennial Pool, 370 N Fourth St, Clifton, ☏ . M-Sa noon-5PM, 6-8PM; Su noon-5PM. Outdoor pool 13 years and over $8.
- 3 Ashkum Village Park, Ashkum. Park with children's playground and two baseball courts.
- There are also three nature preserves: Bonnie's Prairie, Hooper Branch Savanna, and Loda Cemetery Prairie.
- The Gathering Gift Shop, 931 S Crescent St, Gilman, ☏ . M-Sa 10AM-5PM, Su noon-4PM.
- Jensen's Dollar Plus, 150 4th Ave, Clifton, ☏ . M-F 7AM-8PM, Sa 7:30AM-8PM, Su 8AM-8PM.
- Boondocks, 249 N Central St, Gilman, ☏ .
- Pizza Palace, 132 N Central St, Gilman, ☏ .
- Pizza Palace, 124 E Main St, Ashkum, ☏ . W-F 4-9PM, Sa Su 4-8PM.
- First Stop Bar and Grill, 510 S Oak St, Chebanse, ☏ . Tu-Su.
- 1 Clifton Public Library, 150 E 4th Avenue, Clifton. M W-F 2-7PM, Tu 10AM-noon & 2-5PM, Sa 9AM-noon. WiFi and public computers