- Divača — close to the UNESCO World Heritage Site Škocjan Caves
- Dutovlje — picturesque settlement
- Hrastovlje —
- Izola — port
- Lipica — home of the Lipizzaner horses
- Komen — picturesque settlement
- Koper — industrial port city with a Venetian old city
- Nova Gorica
- Piran — port
- Portorož — Beaches, casinos and package tourism
- Postojna — Site of the gigantic Postojna caves
- Štanjel — picturesque clustered settlement
Inner Carniola (Notranjska) — an area characterised by lakes, caves and wide plains
Ruled by Venice for five centuries, an Italian influence is clearly visible in the coastal towns of this picturesque area.
Italian is a second language in many coastal towns and is therefore widely understood.
KOPER - there are frequent buses between Trieste and Koper (and on to Piran). Journey time is around 1 hour and the distance is about 20 km. There are also frequent buses and trains from Ljubljana (journey time around 2 hours, 90 km). NOVA GORICA - there are frequent buses between Gorizia (Italy) and its Slovenian counterpart (1 euro 3 cents, 10 minutes). Buses and trains head north towards Bled and Jesenice (5 euro, 2 hours). Buses and some trains are also quite frequent between the city and Ljubljana (8 euro, 2.5 hours). SEZANA - on weekdays there are 7 buses a day to/from Trieste (Italy) taking 25 minutes and costing 1 euro. Regular train and bus services run between Sezana and Ljubljana (7 euro, 2 hours)
Slovenia is rich in caves due to the wide limestone bedrock in the South West, the Coast and Karst that has given name to this particular topography. The Postojna Caves in Postojna is one of the largest cave systems in the world, containing 20 km of underground galleries, chambers and corridors. The Škocjan Caves, near Divača, are on the UNESCO World Heritage List for its natural and cultural significance.
- [dead link]Tourist farm »Oru«, Davorin Jagodič Avber 2 6210 Sežana, ☎ , . Wine tasting, food, wine
With the exception of Koper, Sezana and Nova Gorica all of the settlements are very small and crime is virtually non-existent. In all parts crime is low when compared to all neighbouring countries. Most young people will speak very good English and coastal areas are usually bilingual (Slovene and Italian).