Consett is in County Durham.
Consett has many bus links. The 45 and 46 run to Newcastle, with four buses an hour taking about 55 minutes. The X70 and X71 take about the same amount of time, with one bus every 30 minutes. They run via Gateshead.
There are also regular buses to Durham. The 15 and 15A provide a bus every 30 minutes. The journey takes about 40 minutes.
Stanley, Chester-le-Street and Sunderland can all be accessed using the 78 bus which runs twice an hour. This bus takes about 100 minutes from Sunderland, 60 minutes from Chester-le-Street or 25 minutes from Stanley.
Lastly, the Venture buses run transport in the Consett area.
Taxis from Durham will set you back about £25. From Newcastle, you can expect to pay £30.
- Consett is an old mining community and because of this has a lot of totems and mementos to show as much. The most desirable of such is the ones on the cycle and walk routes.
- 1 Terris Novalis Sculpture. Sculptures of a theodolite and an engineer's level, twenty times life size.
- 2 Derwentcote Steel Furnace is Britain's oldest, built in 1720. It's just a large cottage off A694 with no interior access, but English Heritage sometimes have guided walks around the area.
- Derwent Walk follows a former railway trackbed for 12.5 miles beside the River Derwent. From Consett and Shotley Bridge it heads northeast via Gibside to Derwenthaugh Country Park near the Gateshead Metro Centre.
Consett is a place for great bargains.
- 1 The Old Mill Knitsley, Knitsley, DH8 9EL. A fine pub set by it's very own airstrip! Tremendous food and drink and very pleasant surroundings in a small valley just outside Consett.
- 1 The Company Row, The Victoria Centre, Victoria Road, DH8 5BQ. Wetherspoon pub
- 1 Derwent Manor Hotel, Allensford, DH8 9BB. A few miles outside of Consett, but well worth the little travel as this hotel has pleasant views of the Derwent valley with a lot of atmosphere and excellent food & drink. from £56.
As of June 2022, Consett has 4G from all UK carriers but the signal is patchy. 5G has not reached this area.