It is home to some of the worlds most beautiful beaches - great for sun worshippers.
In order to have access to remote (some say the best of the) beaches you will probably need to hire a car (mopeds are not so good on the bumpy tracks down to the beaches). Driving on the coastal roads gives great views over the yacht lined Costa Smeralda coastline (or it's rather better to hire a yacht then?).
You can get up close to the super yachts when they come in to Porto Cervo in the evening.
The best of the beaches are Liscia Ruia, Cappriccioli and Romazzino.
You can pick up fantastic bargains from the beach traders who sell jewellery, clothes, CDs etc. But if you want to be as stylish as the rich tourists of Costa Smeralda you may go to Porto Cervo or Porto Rotondo for expensive clothing.
Most restaurants on the Costa Smerelda are overpriced. For authentic Sardinian cuisine try the campsite restaurants where all the locals go.
It can be quite difficult finding accommodation in the Costa Smeralda as the area is mainly serviced by Italian tour operators but some local operators provide detailed accommodation information online. If you don't have your own private yacht to stay on and can't afford the £300 per night prices of the exclusive hotels then you might want to hire a villa through a website. Alternatively you can hire bungalows at a number of the campsites on the coast.
- Residence Bougainvillae Porto Cervo, Via Della Marina, 07021, Porto Cervo (OT), ☎ , fax: . The Bougainvillae is a residence offering one studio, one bedroom apartment and two bedroom apartments. All with private bath, living room, patio or balcony, satellite TV and Wi-Fi connection. Other services include the swimming pool and private parking. Weekly prices.
- Luci di la Muntagna, Porto Cervo, Via Sa Conca 55 - 07021, ☎ , fax: . Hotel rated 4 stars and is renovated in 2012. In front of Yacht-Club Costa Smeralda with panoramic seaview.
- Hotel Mirage, Loc. Capo testa ( S. Teresa Gallura) - 07100 Tel:+39 0789.754207, Fax:+39 0789.755518. 
- Aldo b&b, ☎ . Arzachena, Loc.Rena. In the heart of the gallurese countryside, a stone's throw away from the sea of the Costa Smeralda.
- [dead link]Costa Smeralda, Porto Cervo (SS) - 07020. These are the Starwood Luxury collection hotel properties where the celebrities and VIPs stay: Cala Di Volpe, Hotel Romazzino, Hotel Pitrizza, and Cervo Hotel. All surround Pervero Golf Course and offer dining, swimming, health/fitness club, concierge, and live music.
You will find Costa Smeralda to be a very safe and friendly place for your vacation, just remember to follow some easy rules.
When you’re going to the beach, you need to bring sun block and possibly to find out what the UV rating is for that day. UV rays are calculated on a 1-15 scale. Higher numbers mean more intense rays and the sun in Sardinia is going to shine every single day.
Keep plenty of water on hand. It's very easy to become dehydrated when you're in the sun all day.
To avoid loss, it's always wise to leave any important documents (like your passport), your credit cards, and most of your money at your hotel.