It is the area close to the Gulf of Asinara at the North-West of Sardinia with Sassari, the 2nd largest city in Sardinia and the capital of the homonymous province.
- 1 Sassari – provincial capital and Sardinia's 2nd largest city
- 2 Alghero – renowned for its Catalan heritage
- 3 Castelsardo – a nice town at the coast of the Asinara Gulf built around an old castle
- 4 Porto Torres – one of the sea gates of the island with connections to Corsica and the mainland ports in Italy, France and Spain
Perhaps it's the most popular tourist destination on the island due to its famous beaches. As a matter of fact, since 2016 the Gallura sub-region was included in the province of Sassari as well.
- 5 Budoni – on the Mediterranean sea
- 6 La Maddalena – an archipelago of 7 islands North of Costa Smeralda renowned for largely unspoiled nature and beautiful scenery
- 7 Olbia – an unofficial capital of the Gallura sub-region at the North-East of Sardinia
- 8 Palau – near the northwest tip of Sardinia
- 9 Santa Teresa Gallura – a "bridge" to Corsica at the most northern tip of Sardinia
- 10 San Teodoro – a seaside resort at the south-east of Olbia next to the Tavolara and Punta Coda Cavallo Marine Preserve
- 11 Tempio Pausania – an old town, famous for its granite architecture, a former mountainous co-capital of the Gallura subregion
- 1 Asinara Island – a nature reserve with a rather unusual historical background and a lot of asses
- 2 Costa Smeralda – the most glamorous stretch of the coast at the whole Sardinia with its focal point – Porto Cervo
- 3 Isola dei Gabbiani (L'Isuledda) – a small island and a popular destination for windsurfing and kitesurfing
The Sassari province is linguistically diverse, though most residents can speak Sardinian or Italian.
The city of Sassari has its own language Sassarese and the Gallura subregion has Gallurese. They are both similar to Corsican.
Catalan is spoken in Alghero, though this is in decline and local officials estimate only a quarter of its residents speak it as their main language.
Sassari has two airports: