Sassari is a city in the northwest corner of Sardinia and a capital of the homonymous province. It is the second-largest city in Sardinia in terms of population with over 130,000 inhabitants.
- 1 Infosassari (Ufficio Informazioni Turistiche), Via Sebastiano Satta, 13 (Palazzo di Città), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Tu-F 09:00-13:30, 15:00-18:00; Sa 09:00-13:30.
From ferry terminal in Porto Torres.
There are plenty of regional trains, operated by Trenitalia, that connects with Olbia in the northwestern part of the Sardinia and with Cagliari in the south. Also a local narrow gauge line between Alghero (35 min) and Sorso runs via this station. This line is operated by ARST.
- 1 Sassari railway station (Stazione di Sassari), Piazza della Stazione.
- 2 Stazione dei pullman (regional bus hub). Simply a series of bus stop with a ticket booth.
- ATP Sassari. Provides urban bus services for the city. 90 min single €1.30 (onboard €1.80); 2 hr (incl. Metrosassari) €2.00; daily pass (incl. Metrosassari) €3.30.
- Metrosassari. 06:50-21:00. The city has a short tram line. It's not very useful though for tourists at it reaches the city centre after a quite a bit of diversion into a periphery. 90 min ticket €1.30.
- 1 Cattedrale di San Nicola (The Cathedral of St. Nicholas of Bari). The cathedral was built in the 13th century and enlarged in Catalan Gothic style from 1480; there's a monument to the Duca di Moriana inside. The façade, belonging to the Baroque Spanish colonial restorations of 1650–1723, has a rectangular portico surmounted by three niches housing statues of saints. The bell tower is in Romanesque style.
- 2 Fontana di Rosello (Font of Rosello). The 17th-century fountain built at the ancient source. The fountain is considered the symbol of the city. At the top of two crossing arches there is a statue of St. Gavino.
- 3 Palazzo Ducale. M-F 08:00-19:30; Sa 08:00-13:00. Now the City Hall.
- Le Stanze e le Cantine del Duca (Duke's rooms and cellars). Tu-Sa 10:00-13:00 15:00-18:00; Su 10:00-13:00 (guided tours every 30 minutes). A part of the Civic Museum. €3.
- 4 Palazzo di Città (Museo della Città), ☏ . Tu 10:00-13:00; W-F 10:00-13:00 15:00-18:00; Sa 10:00-13:00. Entering from Corso Vittorio Emanuele II visitors could see the interiors of the Palazzo di Città including the ball room, the historic Civic Theatre. Another entrance is from Via Sebastiano Satta through the tourist information office. This part presents some Sardinian costumes and two works of Eugenio Tavolara depicting the Carnival and the Holy Week in Sassari. €3.
- Teatro Civico.
- 5 Palazzo Tola, Piazza Tola, 42. There are still some traces there of its initial Renaissance façade.
- 6 Chiesa di Santa Maria di Bethlem. Despite its modest exterior it's richly decorated inside.
- 7 Vecchie mura. A fragment of the Pisan city walls.
- 8 Palazzo dell'Università.
- 9 Palazzo della Provincia, Piazza d'Italia. Built in 1872.
- 10 Casa Cugurra (Palazzo Cugurra). Built in 1890 in Neo-Baroque style with 1906 extension in Liberty style.
- 11 Villa Sant’Elia (villa Mimosa). A villa in Liberty style.
- 12 Padiglione per l'artigianato "Eugenio Tavolara" (Padiglione dell'Artigianato Isola) (at the Giardino pubblico). Tavolara pavilion for handicrafts and design is the headquarters and the exhibition space of I.S.O.L.A. (Sardinian craftsmanship institution). Built in 1956 by the project of Italian architect Ubaldo Badas.
- 1 [dead link] Museo Nazionale G.A. Sanna, Via Roma 64, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Tu-Sa 09:00-20:00, 1st Su 09:00-20:00. The National Museum "Giovanni Antonio Sanna" is the largest museum institution in the north-central Sardinia in size and importance of its scientific collections, and an important cultural reference for the North of the Island. €3.
- 2 Pinacoteca Mus'a al Canopoleno (Museo Sassari Arte), Piazza S. Caterina, 4 (at the former collegio gesuitico del Canopoleno), ☏ . M-Tu 09:00-13:30 15:00-17:00; W-F 09:00-13:30. €2.50.
- Fior di Pane di Pecorini Laura, Via Amendola, 42/B, ☏ . A bakery. $.
- Pasticceria Artistica Nuova Pagoda di, Via Degli Astronauti, ☏ . Pasticceria, gelato, espresso.
- Gelateria Ligure, C. Vittorio Emanuele, 53, ☏ . Gelateria.
- 2 Monte d'Accoddi (13 km from Sassari). A Neolithic altar in a form of a truncated step-pyramid resembling Mesopotamian ziqqurats.
- Alghero -- bright lively town at the Western coast of the island renown for its Catalan heritage
- Castelsardo -- a pleasant town at the coast of the Asinara Gulf built around an old castle
- Bosa -- a beautiful medieval small town
- Porto Torres for its ancient basilica and the Roman remains