Located just northwest of Johannesburg this area became a UNESCO World Heritage Site due to the large number of humanoid fossils that has been found here. 13 well explored fossil sites and over 200 caves are located within the cradle. The site covers an area of around 47 000 hectares and offers a variety of tourist attractions.
From the N1 in Johannesburg, take exit 80 Roodepoort (M8 14th Ave) and get onto Hendrik Potgieter road (M47) heading north. Hendrik Potgieter will become the N14 and lead directly into the Cradle of Humankind.
- 1 Sterkfontein Caves (West along the N14 and look for the Cradle of Humankind signs), ☏ . 9AM to 5PM. A tour guide will lead you through this extensive cave system where many early hominids and advanced ape fossils were discovered. It is a 2 km walk. You can also visit the museum to learn more about the evolution of man. There is also a restaurant and shop. R80 for adults, R50 for children between 4 to 14 years old, R60 for pensioners, children under age of 4 for free.
- Maropeng, On the D400 (From Krugersdorp, follow the R563 north to the R400, turn left into the R400, Maropeng will be on your left about 1.7km further. From Tshwane, follow the N14 west until it reaches the R563, then follow the directions as above. From the N1 in Johannesburg take exit 80 Roodepoort (M8 14th Ave) and get onto Hendrik Potgieter road (M47) heading north. Hendrik Potgieter will become the N14, follow directions as above.), ☏ , email@example.com. 9AM to 5PM. The Cradle of Mankind exhibition and education centre. Mostly aimed at students, but fascinating for anyone interested in human origins. The short underground boat ride is a must do activity. At the entrance there is an ATM, coffee shop and souvenir shop. Within the centre, the Tumulus Restaurant is located on the first floor and the Tumulus bar is located on the second floor. Visitors centre: R80 for adults, R45 for children, R60 for pensioners..
- Rhino & Lion Nature Reserve (including the Wonder Caves), ☏ , fax: , firstname.lastname@example.org. A nature reserve within the Cradle.
- The Cradle (From the N14 or the N1, follow the R512 north. Look out for the Cradle signpost to the left just past Lanseria airport, it will indicate a left turn into Kromdraai road (D540). Follow Kromdraai and the Cradle will be on your right), ☏ , fax: , email@example.com. A nature reserve and restaurant within the Cradle of Humankind. Reserve in advance for the restaurant as they are generally fully booked.
- 1 Greensleeves, Off the R563 (Follow the N14 north until the T-junction with the R563, turn right and follow the R563 for about 10 km (take care not to take the Tarlton/Venterdorp road to the left about 2½ km from the T-junction), signpost will indicate Greensleeves on your left.), ☏ , fax: . F Sa 7PM till late, costume hire and dressing from 6:30PM. Medieval themed restaurant, booking essential
- Tumulus, First floor of the Tumulus at Maropeng, ☏ . Open to the public on Sundays only. Buffet lunch. The bar provides an awesome view overlooking the Magaliesberg and the Witwatersberg mountains. R185 for adults and R80 for kids.
- Maropeng Hotel, At the On the D400 at the Maropeng visitors centre (From Krugersdorp, follow the R563 north to the R400, turn left into the R400, Maropeng will be on your left about 1.7 km further. From Tshwane, follow the N14 west until it reaches the R563, then follow the directions as above. From Johannesburg take exit 80 Roodepoort (M8 14th Ave) and get onto Hendrik Potgieter road (M47) heading north. Hendrik Potgieter will become the N14, follow directions as above.), ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Forum Homini Boutique Hotel, Letamo Game Farm, Bartlett Road, Kromdraai (From the N14/M47 intersection, follow the N14 north for 4 km. Turn right into Bartlett road and follow this dirt road for about 3vkm to the entrance.), ☏ , email@example.com. Views of the valley from the evolution-themed luxury suites with roofs covered in African veld. The onsite Roots restaurant was voted as one of the Top 10 restaurants in the country (2007 and 2008). Reservations essential. No children under 12. R1750 per person including breakfast.