Cumbernauld is very much near the centre of Scotland.
Cumbernauld is a new town in North Lanarkshire, Scotland, created in 1956 as a population overflow for Glasgow. Its population was 49,664 at the time of the 2001 census. The name comes from the Scots Gaelic comar nan allt, meaning the meeting of the waters.
The town was the setting of the popular Scottish film Gregory's Girl,, although there is nothing at all celebrating this fact.
There are a number of motorways in close proximity: M9, M74, M80, M73, M876 and M8.
There are buses to Glasgow, Stirling, Falkirk, Dunfermline and St Andrews. Trains run to Glasgow, Falkirk, Motherwell and Edinburgh from Cumbernauld railway station and Croy railway station in the north of the town.
Local bus services can be used within Cumbernauld. These include the x25 to Glasgow operated by StageCoach. Also x2,x3,x4,x5,x80+36 bus services go to Glasgow.
The local bus service is run by Canavan Travel.
- 1 Cumbernauld town centre. Cumbernauld is one of five new towns built in Scotland in the 1950s to contain the overspill from Glasgow. As a result there is next to nothing of architectural interest in the town unless you are keen on 1960s shopping centres and the disastrous buildings of that era.
- Museum. about Cumbernauld's history.
- Watch football (ie soccer) at 1 Clyde FC. They were promoted in 2019 and now play in League One, the third tier of Scottish football. Their home ground, capacity 8000, is Broadwood in Cumbernauld, a mile north of M80 junction 4A.
- 2 Cumbernauld United F.C.. Cumbernauld also has a junior football side who play at Guy's Meadow
- Cumbernauld RFC. There is a rugby team, who play in Condorrat.
- 1 The Carrick Stone, 52 Teviot Walk, G67 1NG, ☏ . daily 8AM-11PM. Wetherspoon's pub with real ales and food (until 10PM).
- 1 Premier Inn Glasgow Cumbernauld, 4 S Muirhead Rd, ☏ .
- 2 Travelodge Glasgow Cumbernauld Hotel, Auchenkilns Park, ☏ .
|Routes through Cumbernauld|
|merges with ←||N S||→ Coatbridge → The SOUTH (avoiding Glasgow)|
|Stirling ← Falkirk (via ) ←||NE SW||→ Kirkintilloch → Glasgow|