Cunha is a historic city in the state of São Paulo.
Cunha is a small town near the border with the state of Rio de Janeiro. It's known for the lavender production, its views of the mountain range and its amazing waterfalls.
- From São Paulo or Rio de Janeiro via BR-116 until Guaratinguetá, then take SP-171 for the last 43 km. Approximately 2.5 hours from São Paulo or 3.5 from Rio.
- From Paraty via RJ-165, 47 km.
- From Ubatuba or Taubaté via the Oswaldo Cruz Highway to Lagoinha, then the Paulo Virgínio Highway.
Local intermunicipal or interstate buses come only as close as Guaratinguetá. From there, there is only one bus line servicing Cunha, run by Viação São José. Check the schedules in advance to avoid a long wait in Guaratinguetá.
On foot, preferably.
- Desterro Waterfall (Cachoeira do Desterro).
- Pedra da Macela. From this peak, you can see the entire bay from Angra dos Reis to Paraty.
- Pepper Waterfall (Cachoeira do Pimenta) (on the Monjolo highway).
- Serra do Mar State Park. A mountain range park.
- Local ceramics.
- Le Provence, Rua Geronimo Mariano Leite, 317, ☏ . Vila Rica, 12. Bistro.
- Quebra-Cangalha, ☏ . Rua Manuel Prudente de Toledo, 540 - Cajuru,
- Pousada e Retaurante Terra Viva, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org. Rodovia Cunha-Paraty, km59.
- Espaço Drão Restaurante e Ateliê, Alameda Lavapés. 560 (50 meters from Casa de Artesão) - Vila Rica, tel. +55 12 3111-1326 , Th-Sa 12:00-23:00, Sun 12:00-18:00
- Cervejaria Teixeira.
- Hotel Fazenda Alvorada, Access via SP-171, km 22, ☏ .
- Pousada dos Anjos, Rodovia Cunha-Paraty, km 57, ☏ , email@example.com.
- Pousada Recanto das Girafas, Rua Prof. Agenor de Araújo 251, ☏ .
- Pousada e Retaurante Terra Viva, Rodovia Cunha-Paraty, km 59, ☏ , firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pousada Vale das Cachoeiras, Monjolo Highway, km 13, ☏ .
Hostels and private rooms are available in:
in the south-east:
- Paraty – 50 km. A fully-conserved 18th-century colonial town by the ocean, hidden by tall jungle-covered mountains which used to be a hideout for pirates after the Portuguese ships; a must-see for people interested in history and culture; also good for rainforest hiking and kayaking.
- Trindade – 70 km. Popular beach in an old village. You can do surfing, hiking, swimming in natural pools, visiting waterfalls or just relaxing on one of the many beaches. Buses depart once per hour at around 45 after the hour.
in the north-west:
- Aparecida – 50 km. It's the most popular religious pilgrimage site in Latin America. Pilgrims come to visit the Basilica containing the statue of Our Lady of Aparecida. Other attractions are a theme park, aquarium and museums. From Aparecida to Santo Antônio do Pinhal.