Děčín is a city in North Bohemia. It lies on the river Elbe in a beautiful and diverse landscape, surrounded by the Central Bohemian Uplands, Elbe Sandstone Mountains and Bohemian Switzerland National Park.
Děčín is a nice city in the valley of the Elbe, close to the main railway connecting Saxony and Prague. Before World War II, most of the inhabitants were ethnic Germans. After the war most of the German population was driven out, fled or was resettled and the new communist government redesigned the city destroying many historic buildings and building panel blocks in the process. Because of that, these days there is more than one city center in Děčín, which might be confusing. The main railway and bus station as well as the town hall are all located on the opposite bank of the Elbe than the castle and historical old town. With a population of 50,000 Decin is the 19th largest city in the country. The old German name for the town "Tetschen" most likely has the same root as the Czech name, which becomes obvious when you hear it pronounced in a Saxon accent.
- 1 Děčin main station (Děčín hlavní nádraží). Děčín is on the main railway corridor connecting Prague with Germany. From Prague It takes 1hr 30min. by train to get there. From Dresden you can take the direct Eurocity which takes 46 minutes for the very picturesque ride through the Elbe valley and Saxon Switzerland.
- 2 Děčín východ. The other railway station
By car it takes around 1hr 25min from Prague.
There is no direct bus connection and it takes 3hr with several changes of bus.
- 1 Decin Castle (chateau), Dlouhá jízda 1254, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Iconic landmark of region, history of Děčín Castle is very interesting and varied. Castle was reconstructed in both renaissance and then baroque style. Frédéric Chopin stayed and composed here a while. Adults 90Kč.
- Old Town Bridge. Gothic bridge from 16th century with baroque sculptures of Czech saints.
- 2 Synagogue, Žižkova 4 (200 m from main railway station), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Opened M-F 08:00-15:00. Synagogue in Art Deco style from 1907. If you want to see interior, you have to ring the bell and wait for a synagogue employee to unlock the building. entrance fee optional (but donation for reconstruction of synagogue interior welcomed!).
- 3 Decin Zoo, Žižkova 1286/15 (1000 m from main railway and bus station), ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Very small zoo. Mainly animals inhabiting the Czech Republic and a few exotic species, including anteater and tapir. Adults 80Kč, children (3-15 years) 50Kč.
- Sheep's Bridge (ovci mustek) (500 m from main railway station.). Small stone bridge from 1561.
- Holy Rood Church.
- Swimming pool, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. Both indoor and summer swimming pool. Some other sport activities also possible.
- Boat trips (Labská plavební), Kamenická 692/199, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Boat trips on Elbe (through Elbe Sandstones protected landscape area) to Hrensko (last town on Elbe in the Czech Republic) and Bad Schandau (Germany) or return trips from Děčín to Dresden (with tour in the city) or to Meißen.
- Hiking around. Děčín is a great starting point for hiking in Central Bohemian Uplands, Elbe Sandstone Mountains and Bohemian Switzerland National Park. Hiking trails are well marked and go through the city.
- Pivovar Shopping Centre, Sofijská 2/3 (400 m from main train and railway station), ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 09:00-20:00. Normal shopping centre with many shops, department store and cinema.
- [dead link] Restaurant Fabrika, Oblouková 1413/3, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. M-Th 10:00-23:00, F 10:00-24:00, Sa 11:00-24:00, Su 11:00-23:00. Popular restaurant in a former factory complex. Daily soup 22Kč and daily main course 89Kč.
- Pizzeria Ciao Ciao, Teplická 365/60. Daily 11:00-23:00. Italian cuisine.
- [dead link] Restaurant Tunel, U Přívozu 18/4, ☏ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. M-Th 11:00 - 23:00; F Sa 11:00 - 24:00. International cuisine. Relatively expensive. But main courses from daily menu for 99Kč.
- 1 U Mostu, Labské nábřeží 304/45, 405 02 Děčín - IV Podmokly, ☏ . Bohemian food close to the Elbe bridge.
- Hotel Česká Koruna, Masarykovo náměstí 60, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Hotel with restaurant located right on main square in historic centre. The historic heart of Děčín is 1500 m from the centre of the city on the other side of the river, with main railway and bus station.
- Central Bohemian Uplands, Elbe Sandstone Mountains and Bohemian Switzerland National Park - these three areas with beautiful landscape begins just where Děčín ends. It is possible to start connect to hiking trail just in the city.
- Bad Schandau, Dresden and other places in Saxony (D).
|Routes through Děčín|
|Dresden ← Bad Schandau ←||Hamburg Prague||→ Prague|