Daman is a part of one of the union territories of India formally known as Daman and Diu. It is on the west coast of India, next to the state of Gujarat, which is perhaps a more well-known tourist destination. It was under the control of Portugal from 1539 to 1961 - and as a result of this, Portuguese influence is still palpable today, particularly in the architectural and cultural spheres.
It may not have all the facilities that a tourist destination should have but it does have peace, relaxation, friendly locals and beautiful places to see. Local resorts and hotels are easily available and can be easily booked from Gujarat.
Daman has a beautiful landscape and, partly due to being relatively close to Mumbai and some of the other majors cities of Gujarat and Maharashtra, it experiences a lot of tourist traffic every year.
Flights are easily available for Daman from the nearby cities of Mumbai (170km) and Baroda (300 km). Daily flights of Gujarat State Airlines connect the place to these cities. The local airport of Daman is in the Nani Daman (Little Daman) area and has all the amenities for tourists traveling to the city. The nearest international airport is in Mumbai.
The nearest railhead for getting to Daman is at Vapi, located around 12 km away. It lies on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad route of the Western railway and is about 170 km from Mumbai and 90 km from Surat. Major Delhi-Mumbai and Mumbai-Ahmedabad bound trains halt at this station. People traveling to Daman by train can get down at the Vapi and then reach Daman by local buses, taxis or tongas.
Daman is easily accessible by road, and is connected to some of the major cities nearby, with a well-maintained system of roadways. Vapi at a distance of 12 km, lies on the Bombay-Ahmedabad National Highway No. 8 and is easily connected to Daman by road. The town is 170 km from Mumbai, 360 km from Ahmedabad and 768 km from Diu, 110 km from Surat and 300 km from Baroda.
There are taxis and auto-rickshaws available to roam around in Daman. However, it may be better to hire a taxi for a day if you wish to explore; the reception desk at your hotel can arrange one.
- 1 The Chapel of our Lady of Rosary (Our Lady of Rosario Prathnalay).
- 2 Church of Bom Jesus (Basilica of Bom Jesus Church). This church has decorated ceilings and carved gateways. It is part of the historical and architectural heritage of Daman.
- 3 Damon Lighthouse.
- 4 Devka Beach.
- 5 Fort Jerome. Site of Our Lady of the Sea Church, Portuguese Cemetery and its architecture.
- 6 Fort of Moti Daman.
- Freedom Memorial.
- 7 Jain Temple.
- 8 Jampore Beach.
- 9 Mirasol Lake (Mirasol Waterpark & Resort), Kadaiya Village.
- 10 Our Lady of the Sea.
- 11 Pargola Garden.
- 1 Play Nation, Somnath Plaza, next to G-Cinema Multiplex, Somnath Junction (2 km from Dabhel Checkpost), ☎ , ✉ firstname.lastname@example.org. 12PM-10PM. Gaming lounge and cafe with international attractions like laser paintball, Sumo wrestling, professional shooting and archery aange. Also, there is a hut-themed restaurant serving vegan, Italian, Mexican and oriental cuisine. Rs 450.
You get a lot of non-vegetarian and sea food in Daman. Chicken Bullet is one of the recipes that is unique to Daman. You can get a really good Chicken Bullet at Hotel Miramaar
- 1 Daman Delite, Seaface Rd, Dhamatne, ☎ . Huge range of seafood including lobster, crab, octopus, squid, shrimp and prawns along with other typical Indian non-veg dishes.
Being next to Gujarat a dry state Daman attracts lot of local tourist who want to enjoy alcohol. Daman is one of the few places in India where there is not much tax on alcohol nor there is any restriction on drinking. You might find beer being sold even at the beach by hawker. It is better to purchase your liquor from the shop to avoid adulterated liquor.
There are lot of budget and premium hotels at Devka. The only five star hotel in Daman is 'The Deltin'. The most preferred hotels here are those on the beach with beach facing rooms.
- Cidade De Daman
- 1 Sandy Resort, Devka (4 Km north of Daman city). Not a beach side hotel, but the beach is just across the road.
- 2 Hotel Jazira, Devka (4 Km north of Daman city). Beach side hotel
- 3 Fortune Park Galaxy, National Highway No. 8, Vapi (Daman border is 5 Km from hotel, Daman Sea Beach, 12 Km. Railway station 1 Km), ☎ , toll-free: , ✉ email@example.com. Only branded chain hotel in the region. Part of ITC group of hotels. Also on premises is Restaurant Orchid, which serves elaborate buffet breakfast, lunch & dinner & multi-cuisine menu with numerous dishes to choose from.