Danville is a city of 40,000 people (2018) in the state of Virginia on the Banks of the Dan River close to the border with North Carolina. Founded in 1793 , Danville is perhaps best known for its role in the Civil War, when it was an important railroad stop for the Confederacy and became the last Confederate capital after Richmond fell to the North.
The most convenient way to reach Danville is by car.
Amtrak's Crescent train connects Danville with cities like New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington, Charlotte, Atlanta, Birmingham, and New Orleans. The 1 Amtrak station is situated at 677 Craghead Street. Trains depart and arrive late at night or very early in the morning, making this an inconvenient way to get to Danville in most cases.
The Danville Transit System provides bus service Monday–Saturday except some holidays.
Danville has several historic districts, representing a variety of architectural styles.
- 1 Danville Museum of Fine Arts and History, 975 Main Street, ☏ . Tuesday-Saturday 10AM-5PM, Sunday 2-5PM. Located in the William T Sutherlin Mansion, famous as the last capitol of the Confederacy for a week at the end of the Civil War. $10.
- Virginia International Raceway, 1245 Pine Tree Road, ☏ . Alton. This racetrack, 12 miles east of Danville, is the site of driving events for both amateurs and pros. 3.27 miles long, it offers numerous fun and challenging corners with a few long straights. There are wonderful facilities including garage suites for both you and your car. Hook up with a car club hosting an event there and you will have the time of your life.
- Anglers Park, 350 Northside Drive, ☏ , ✉ email@example.com. Boasts a variety of mountain biking trails.
- Riverwalk Trail. Dawn to dusk. A trail along the Dan River for walking and biking (map available at the linked address).
- 1 Danville Mall, 325 Piedmont Drive, ☏ . Monday-Saturday 10AM-9PM, Sunday noon-6PM.
- Farmers' Market, 629 Craghead Street, ☏ . Saturday mornings.
- Ham's, 2373 Riverside Dr, ☏ . $2.50 burgers on Tuesdays.
- Sleep Inn, 1483 South Boston Rd, ☏ . This is a modestly priced hotel which is often used by participants at Virginia International Raceway. Totally acceptable.
- Gæstehuset i Danville, 327 West Main Street (across the street from Averett University), ☏ . Check-in: after 3PM, check-out: 11AM. Home-share facility bookable directly or through Airbnb and Booking.com. Rated very highly in customer reviews. Features a large master suite with private bath in a 1913 historic home near the center of town. $58.
|Routes through Danville|
|Washington, D.C. ← Lynchburg ←||N S||→ Greensboro → Charlotte|
|Charlottesville ← Lynchburg ←||N S||→ Reidsville → Greensboro|